One itchy dog one not

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health One itchy dog one not

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    shilodakotamom
    Participant

Ok I have one chihuahua that is not only extremely picky, but is also itchy. She doesn’t want to eat anything I put in front of her for more than a few days. This has been going on for two years. I have attempted Darwin’s for about two weeks now, no luck, and now we are itchy. The other scarfs it down, no itching. Help! I need to find help with the pickiness and now to compound everything else the itching. Any suggestions will be warmly accepted. They are both rescues the picky one from an abandoned house at 3 months of age, and the not so picky was a breeder at a puppy mill. Miss Picky does beg for human food but does not receive any.

#22910 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

So she was not itchy before you fed Darwins?

#22911 Report Abuse
    shilodakotamom
    Participant

She had some ear itching, I had her examined and the vet found nothing at all. She was on Instinct Raw for about 3 days before and another 4 days mixed with the Darwin’s during the transition period. She has always scratched a little, but not as much as when she transitioned to Darwin’s. She gets out of bed at night to scratch quite excessively. I thought maybe it was the Instinct since it has yeast in it so hurried the transition a bit. She doesn’t eat the Darwin’s unless I put a little cheese in it and then still only eats about half a serving. Well on the bright side she doesn’t have a weight problem. Itching head, ears, base of tail, and scratches on tummy, if that helps.

#22912 Report Abuse
    shilodakotamom
    Participant

Darwin’s felt she might be allergic to chicken or beef, but I started her out on the turkey.

#22928 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

One thing I would definitely cut out is the cheese..find something non-dairy to put on it. That could be why she’s scratching more on Darwin’s.

#22934 Report Abuse
    little pea
    Participant

For what it’s worth..my dog has an allergy to carrots.
    I just started trying goat’s milk yogurt but too early to say, if it is good or bad, other than she loves it. Maybe goat’s milk cheese? I have also been looking at the benefits of raw goat milk..
    My dog eats everything, and then, too late, she has more scratching.

#22964 Report Abuse
    shilodakotamom
    Participant

Thanks for all the helpful hints, I’ve heard so much about Darwin’s I don’t want to give up on it so soon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.