šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Those who’ve fed a nutritionally balanced home-prepared diet, particularly NOT chicken based (rich in Omega 6) or poultry, or those who’ve boosted fat supplementing a commercial diet, which Omega 6 rich source (other than chicken fat) have you used and found most healthful, economical, and accessible to buy?

I have been giving an rx’d therapeutic high dose of Omega 3 EPA & DHA, via wild Alaskan salmon oil . . . the amount balanced well with Omega 6 canine needs when I was feeding a higher Omega 6 diet less rich in the active, converted form of Omega 3.

Now, with new diet directions, whether homemade or current commercial foods I’ve selected, I’d like to continue to use the same oil (vs a combo Omega 6-3 oil) and brand, but I want to boost total fat & keep very high EPA & DHA, without being deficient in Omega 6 or creating an inverse ratio. I want at least 20% fat in the diet, and am comfortable with higher for my breed & dog.

New commercial diets I’ve selected — in addition to whatever I do homemade — are much richer Omega 3 EPA/DHA commercial diet and far lower Omega 3 to 6 ratio. But total fat (and protein) are not high enough.

I’d like to avoid GMO and hexane processed, highly processed (heat, chemicals to deodorize/refine, etc.).

Since I’ve not needed to buy this in my own (human) diet, despite knowing which oils are naturally high linoleic/Omega 6 rich, in trying to choose for a dog, the preferences of human market seems to be making this a more complicated buy.

*Sunflower Oil that is NOT high oleic variety, but its traditional Omega 6 form (Ditto Safflower, but I’d prefer Sunflower)
    *Corn Oil that is not GMO (Does it even exist? I can’t find it in stores locally.)
    –some concern for traces of protein, with an allergy dog, as corn is still in top 7 allergens or so
    Soybean Oil that is non-GMO, organic
    — allergy concerns, as with corn (we haven’t challenge tested her yet for soy allergy)
    Walnut Oil
    –A more expensive choice?? DACVN Sean Delaney seems to prefer walnut and corn oil. . . .
    –Toxicity concerns? Sufficient research, history of safe use in dogs . . . as walnuts are toxic to dogs.
    Grapeseed Oil (High Omega 6, high heat recommended in cooking)
    –Poisonous/contraindicated in dogs?? (Grapes are toxic to dogs.)
    Canola Oil (Omega 6 & 3)
    –less efficient, useful due to inactive Omega 3 content
    –seems readily available in organic, expeller pressed/non hexane

High quality flax oil is expensive, fragile, and inefficient due to its Omega 3 (inactive form). Ditto those fancy GLA oils (Black currant, primrose, borage) — not to mention toxicity concerns for dogs inherent to those plant sources.

And then there are the less common, likely more expensive (??), and perhaps less established as safe for dogs (??) oils such pumpkin seed oil, hemp seed oil, other nut oils (most are high monounsaturated/oleic).

Cottonseed oil is GMO cotton, so no to that one for me. I never see this sold either, just in industrial commercial use.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by GSDsForever.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by GSDsForever.
    #144566 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I go by what my vet recommends, specific to my dog’s needs
    Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Pet
    Directions are on the bottle, available at Amazon.

PS: The dosage is important. More is not better. Too much of this sheet can cause GI upset and diarrhea
    Always best to consult your vet first as your dog may not need this.

#144568 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I would consult with a certified veterinary nutritionist or check out http://www.balanceit.com for homemade balanced recipes.

I use Nordic Naturals or Welactin fish oil for my two along with their kibble with a little canned mixed in. Recommended and approved by their vets.

#144573 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Hi anon & crazy4cats.

I did consult with my vet for Omega 3. That is why I use what I do and in the specified amount. Anon, there are veterinary therapeutic doses and then there are commercial retail product recommendations, which differ: I’m using a veterinary therapeutic dose as prescribed, with a minimum and maximum.

I’m asking about experiences with use of Omega 6, not Omega 3.

crazy4cats, the veterinary nutritionist we were scheduled to use has left private practice very recently and is unavailable, as she has joined staff for Nature’s Variety Instinct. That just kinda threw a wrinkle into our plans. I like her a lot.

I haven’t yet selected a new veterinary nutritionist, but will be working with one sometime in the next several months, as my dog’s nutritional needs are more complex, such that we could use the additional assistance, and are not readily met by a commercial diet that we’ve found. I am fortunate to have insurance that will help pay for this.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.