Obsessive licking & another question…

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Obsessive licking & another question…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sam Koch

Hello,

I have a 13 pound Chihuahua mix who licks so much she has a red spot. At first I thought she was licking her butt, but it’s actually right above at the underside base of her tail. She licks it constantly, mostly when she’s in her crate at night. Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be?

Also, very off-topic question, how do I change my profile picture?

Thanks,
    Sam

#69723 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Allergies (food or environmental)? Obsessive compulsive behavior? Stress related? Maybe she doesn’t like being in the crate?
    Talk to your vet, she may do well on an antidepressant, if it is anxiety. They often don’t have to stay on these meds forever….

#69726 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

I think it’s being in her crate, but I don’t have to force her in there. Although, she doesn’t look very happy when I tell her to go to bed. 😛 She was locked in a crate most of her life before I rescued her, so that may be it, I just can’t have her out at night because she likes eating stuff off the floor/going through the trash. I will talk to my veterinarian about it, I have an appointment for the 2nd.

#69763 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I forgot to mention, make sure her anal glands are not becoming blocked? Sometimes they work on an area near there, in an attempt to relieve the discomfort.

#69764 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Where do you put her crate, Sam? If her crate is an another room from where you are, maybe you could move her crate to your bedroom.

#69786 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

I will (try to) do her anal glands soon. I’ve tried before and nothing came out. Her crate is right across from my bed, she can see me from there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.