šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    little pea
    Participant

Hound Dog Mom,
    I have been making some decent progress with the newf’s scratching since the blood allergy test.
    Still not perfect…
    Anyway I occasionally heard random squeaking….not squeal I’m itching myself too hard, but squeaks like a toy. I would go in the room and nothing. Few nights ago she squeaked laying down next to me, then she sat straight up and stared out the window, looked like she was going to go for the big itch, nothing stared.. I thought she saw something out there, I called her name, long pause, she went for her anus and then came to me….
    I rubbed her stomach and etc….I would say intestinal discomfort. I have been doing Ziwi.
    Now for two mornings I have been doing oatmeal with fruit, legume, some ziwi and canned salmon, and wheat germ, royal jelly. Limited diet kibble and ziwi evening feed.Almost all scratching has stopped…and no squeaking!
    Problem is I think I’m getting a little out there and I’m not sure what I the heck I’m doing. Need to balance some of this out. Poor girl eats anything I give her and loves it. Suggestions?

#23177 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Little Pea –

While I can’t say that I oatmeal, fruit, legumes and wheat germ would be my first choice of foods to feed a dog, if this is what you want to stick with because it’s working and I would suggest adding a multivitamin daily. A human one-a-day (low calcium or calcium free) multi would be fine – 1/4 capsule for small dogs, 1/2 capsule for medium dogs, 3/4 capsule for large dogs, 1 capsule for large dogs (assuming the human dose is one capsule). Oats and legumes do have a skewed calcium to phosphorus ratio (more phosphorus than calcium) and if they’re comprising a large portion of the diet the ratio (which should be between 1:1 and 2:1 calcium to phosphorus will be off). You will want to add about 200 mg. calcium per cup of legumes or oats fed. I would also suggest trying quinoa (sprouted, if you can get it) in place of the oatmeal – it has a more favorable amino acid profile.

#23178 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Little Pea –

While I can’t say that oatmeal, fruit, legumes and wheat germ would be my first choice of foods to feed a dog, if this is what you want to stick with because it’s working then I would suggest adding a multivitamin daily. A human one-a-day (low calcium or calcium free) multi would be fine – 1/4 capsule for small dogs, 1/2 capsule for medium dogs, 3/4 capsule for large dogs, 1 capsule for large dogs (assuming the human dose is one capsule). Oats and legumes do have a skewed calcium to phosphorus ratio (more phosphorus than calcium) and if they’re comprising a large portion of the diet the ratio (which should be between 1:1 and 2:1 calcium to phosphorus will be off) you will want to add about 200 mg. calcium per cup of legumes or oats fed. I would also suggest trying quinoa (sprouted, if you can get it) in place of the oatmeal – it has a more favorable amino acid profile.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.