NuVet products

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements NuVet products

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sheryl P

Has anyone used the NuVet vitamins and/or joint health supplements? I have been giving them to my almost 15 year old Aussie and my 5 year old Golden Retriever for about 3 weeks now. The Aussie’s joints seem to be not quite so stiff now. He had actually stopped swimming with my Golden about 6 months ago and has just in the last week started getting back in the water. My Golden is prone to hot spots because he practically lives in the water year round (we live on a farm surrounded by ponds and creeks) so his fur stays damp pretty much all day until I dry him off to come in at night! I can honestly say he has not had a outbreak since he started on these supplements. Just wondering if anyone else had used them and what kind of results they were having. I also have a 16 week old Aussie pup and was wondering at what point I should start joint supplements on him. He is on a premium puppy food (4.5 rated at DFA) so I’m not sure if he needs any supplements yet.

#77206 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2012/01/nuvet-supplementsame-old-snake-oil/
    below is an excerpt, click on link for full article and 111 comments, as of today.

Bottom Line
    This product is a hodgepodge of nutrients, herbal ingredients, and nutraceuticals thrown together with no clear logic or rationale. The claims that many pet diseases are due to toxins or other deficiencies in commercial diets and to oxidative damage are unsupported by any real evidence. Only a few of the specific claims for the ingredients in the mixture are backed by research evidence, and the quality of this is generally poor and only available for humans. The advertising of the product contains many of the hallmarks of snake oil marketing, but it does not contain any research evidence at all concerning the safety or effectiveness of the product, because none appears to exist.While I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of the manufacturer of this product, I believe it is unethical to sell a product with no research establishing the safety or efficacy of the product for any disease and with little to no research even into the safety and efficacy of its constituents. Promoting the product with unproven or outright false claims about pet nutrition and disease designed to instill fear in pet owners and with wild and ridiculous claims about the effectiveness of the product for numerous unrelated diseases is wrong regardless of how sincerely the manufacturer believes in their own pseudoscientific theories. Any responsible manufacturer of a medical therapy should be expected to demonstrate their claims through rigorous science before profiting from the desperate need of people with sick pets.

#77241 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I’ve been using NuVet Plus for about 7-9 months now. My newest Cavalier came with a bottle. I asked my holistic/integrative vet about the ingredients and she approved of them so now all the dogs get them. My dogs have bee doing fine with them. I feel they’ve helped keep them regular, helped with allergies and coat condition. They have not done any harm.

#77244 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.