🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mary C

What is the best dog food on the market for dogs suffering from diabetes? (Quality human grade organic protein and low carbohydrates.)

#42608 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I believe low glycemic is used for diabetic dogs; if you go to chewy.com and type in ” low glycemic dog foods”, they have a list of those foods.

#42609 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Mary C:
    Check out the review side for Diabetic Dog Food, here’s the link:
    /frequently-asked-questions/diabetic-dog-food/

There is a poster there, USA Dog Treats, that would probably be able to help you with the information you are looking for. Just look for one of his posts and reply to it with your question. Here’s a link to another website concerning K9 diabetes that may have info as well:
    http://www.k9diabetes.com/index.html

Good luck!

#42621 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi Mary C

The highest quality dog food would be one you made yourself using lean pasture raised meats and wild caught fish, fresh organic vegetables and a few supplements.

In commercial dog foods I would rate them as follows:
    Raw
    Dehydrated
    Canned
    Kibble

One of the issues with a very low carbohydrate food for dogs is the fat content. Most commercial foods with low carbs are high in fat, some are really high. If your dog doesn’t have any other health issues he or she might do fine with a high fat, high protein, low carb diet. If your dog has other issues such as pacreatitis a high fat diet might not work as well.

I strongly believe that with a diabetic dog the number one priority is to limit carbs as much as you can. After all, diabetes is a failure of the bodies ability to regulate and metabolize ALL carbohydrates and injected insulin cannot currently duplicate the bodies own production of insulin. Diabetes CAN be controlled with the proper diet, the proper insulin regimen and home testing of blood glucose.

So please tell me a little bit about your dog:
    How old
    Current food and amounts fed and at what times in relation to insulin injections
    Current insulin regimen, what type, how often
    Current blood sugar readings
    Overall health and any issues besides diabetes

Once you develop a routine that works for you and your pup things get easier! Give your pup a hug for me!!!

#42622 Report Abuse
    USA

Thank you Bobby dog!

#42635 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

You’re welcome! 😉

#64249 Report Abuse
    Ana C

I have 4 dogs all of them I rescue or adopted from a shelter. I was told yesterday by the vet that the Yorkie is diabetic. I cook for them rice with chicken, turkey, liver or lamb, carrots and peas. Anyone with a good diabetic recipe that can help me. I just order the Alphatrak.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.