🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ana A

On sale at Pet Smart, regular $29.99, sale price $22.99 plus if you register your email address they will send you a $5.00 coupon. I got a 4 lb bag of Nutrience Sub Zero (Grain Free) Prairie Red for only $19.76 with taxes included.

#82822 Report Abuse
    El

Hi Ana A, welcome to the forums!

For the same price as this kibble (5 to 7 dollars a pound), you could feed your pup the highest quality 100% balanced, homemade or commercial fresh food diet.

Please let me know if you’d like any suggestions 😉

#82837 Report Abuse
    Ana A

Hello el doctor, I would like to try feeding her raw…is that what you mean by “commercial fresh food”?

#82845 Report Abuse
    El

Hi Ana A

“Fresh” to me is whole foods either fed raw or lightly cooked. The 2 below are complete diets for Adult Dogs, and because they DON’T contain bone they can be lightly cooked.

/dog-food-reviews/freshpet-vital-raw-patties/
    /dog-food-reviews/freshpet-vital-raw-rolled/

For transitioning from Kibble or canned to raw, I would lightly cook the raw to eliminate some of the possible bacteria, and to slowly accustom your dog’s digestive system to the new diet. I would also transition very slowly. Start with 10% of lightly cooked raw and go up by 10% every third day. Repeat when transitioning from lightly cooked to fully raw. It’s slow, but it’s worth it. A high potency multi-strain probiotic along with a prebiotic will help in these transitions.

Once you are feeding fully raw for a couple of months with no problems, you can start looking at ALL raw foods, including those with bones. The transition periods from one raw food to another can usually be done in a couple of days, and some are able to switch raw foods with no transition at all.

If you would like to learn more about raw feeding along with recipes for preparing food at home, I recommend this book;

Good Luck, and feel free to ask away 😉

#85288 Report Abuse
    David H

Thanks for the information @Ana a.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.