🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Can a dog test reactive to certain ingredients, which I agree, can set him off in kibble form … But can tolerate them well in raw form?
    Chicken / Turkey kibble is out of the question as well as Salmon /Fish formulas, but raw chicken feet and sardines seem to be Houndie Crack to him. I want to try turkey necks next but don’t know if that’s pushing it.
    I want to start incorporating raw into his diet and I was wondering if this is a common thing. As a retired racing Greyhound a raw/kibble mix would have been typically used. And I would like to go back to that type of diet (as opposed to 100% kibble he’s on now).

#21508 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Yes this is possible. Many people report that their dogs can tolerate a protein source in raw form but not in cooked form. Similarly, I’ve heard of dogs that can’t eat – say – chicken meat, but tolerate chicken organs – such as liver – fine. Trial and error.

#21509 Report Abuse

I’m going to try a turkey neck next as I would like to find something for him to chew on for his teeth. Admittedly I am unsure of safe/unsafe bones but the necks seem okay. Turkey hasn’t been kind to him but I guess I’ll find out what happens.

#21513 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Yes, turkey necks are perfectly safe. They are a staple in my dog’s raw diet. Good luck!

#21517 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I wish I could find some RMB like turkey necks locally. My local butcher only carries large weight bearing marrow bones.

#21518 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Betsy, if I’m not mistaken, I think Mypetcarnivore.com carries turkey necks. I’ve never bought anything thru them, I stick with HareToday, but I think I’ve seen them on their site.

Yep, I just checked, they do carry them…

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Cyndi.
    #21522 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Once upon a time, I had a shopping cart going with My Pet Carnivore and I never finished what I was doing. ::probably for the best::

Interestingly, I was just doing a quick search for local butchers and meat wholesalers that might carry RMBs and recreational bones, when I came across a breeder of Bernese Mountain Dogs who lives a few blocks from me. On her website, she mentioned that she feeds RMBs, so I emailed her and asked her if she had a local source.

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture in the forum. The breeder I mentioned has a litter of pups right now and has a close up shot of an adult Berner paw touching a tiny puppy paw. It’s super cute!

#21524 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Oh, well that’s good. Maybe you’ll be able to find a local place that has carries them. I bet that picture is cute. I love those dogs. I thought about getting one before my doberman came into my life. Glad I didn’t now though, because I would have missed out on an awesome 11 years that I had with my Moose. 🙂

#21525 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Berners are beautiful, what’s funny to me is how similar their markings are to Bella’s, my tiny tri-color Cavalier. : )

Funny thing, I just discovered My Pet Carnivore is practically local for me!

Their headquarters is only a couple hours away and I live right by one of their delivery drop off points!

#21526 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Awesome! Now you’ll be able to get your rmb’s. & I was going to mention that about your dog’s coloring when you mentioned the Bernese Mountain Dogs, but I forgot, lol!

#21527 Report Abuse

I get my chicken feet at a large Asian Food Store near me, I’m going to try for the turkey necks there also. If not there’s a big turkey farm a bit further away that I can check with also. I too have stumbled across a raw food supplier within 5 min of me. He delivers to many co -ops but no where near me. I want to email him & see if I can get smaller amounts then he lists if I pick it up.

#21528 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Wow, FreeHoldHound, those all sound like great options!

I know Sandy buys a lot of her fresh things like chicken feet and these great big sardines, etc., at an Asian market near her, too. Hopefully since your raw food guy is so close to you, he wouldn’t mind working with you on placing an order directly if he can fill it at the same time he services the co-ops.

#21529 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

That’s a good idea. It never hurts to ask. I feed chicken feet quite a bit too. I get mine from Hare Today. I haven’t been able to find those anywhere around me.

#21535 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Viola! I just found my way into a raw food buying group!

OK, here’s what I did this afternoon. I sent an email to a local breeder that I found online and asked her if she had any local sources for buying RMBs, etc. She emailed me back this evening and had already been in touch with their person that heads up their co-op and got the OK from that person to have me get in touch with her to add my name to their list. Odd thing is, the person in charge of the co-op is the same person I took Sam to for obedience training when he was a wee pup and she and I enjoyed our raw conversations last Summer.

So, if you’re looking to get into a co-op, try searching out breeders in your area that are raw feeders and get in touch with them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.