šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Holly B

Wellness Core Dog Food is listed on Editor’s Choice and a “Non GMO Dog Food”, but there is nothing on the manufacturer’s site claiming they are Non GMO and I cannot find any info on the sites that list Non GMO foods/Brands.

Does anyone know how I can verify?

Thanks!

#65802 Report Abuse
    JeffreyT

When I called Wellness to ask if their dog food is gmo-free they said only their organic products are. I’ve never come across any organic Wellness dog food, only the conventionally raised meat kind. Also when I spoke to them they had a big corporate company vibe…I stay away.

#65804 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

When I’ve been in contact with WellPet I’ve been assured that all products in the Wellness line are GMO free. WellPet is a very large company – they own Wellness, Holistic Select, Eagle Pack and Old Mother Hubbard. IMO – that’s not always a bad thing, larger companies often have better quality control. I’ve personally been impressed with their customer service during my interactions – they’re always prompt, helpful, friendly and usually follow up with me to make sure I got the information I needed.

#65820 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Holly and Jeffrey,

Wellness dry food products do not appear to contain corn or soy — the 2 most likely dog food ingredients to contain GM materials. Yet due to cross contamination found in the supply chain of many pet (and human) foods, making a guarantee for any food product to be 100% GMO free would be technically misleading.

Unlike the European Union, the U.S. government does not yet address this topic from a regulatory standpoint.

When interviewing Wellpet, I found the representative to be completely transparent about this topic. And it was apparent to me the company was sensible in the way they address questions about the GMO nature of their products.

I found this FAQ question and answer posted publicly on the company’s website:

Why does the new packaging no longer say ā€œGMO-Freeā€?

The Wellness Quality team has worked very hard to remove GMO ingredients from our Wellness dry dog and cat foods and nothing is changing in our recipes.

As the discussion about GMOs has continued in the pet community, weā€™ve made a conscious decision not to make a broad non-GMO statement until there are definitive regulatory standards to guide such claims in the pet food community.

So, I remain confident in our inclusion of Wellness dry dog foods on our non-GMO list.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.