šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Phillip O

I am looking for a 5 star dog food that contains NO CHICKEN Products
    any help would be appreciated
    thanks

#64172 Report Abuse
    deborah d

Castor and Pollux has a poultry free kibble that I believe is 5star rated

#64173 Report Abuse
    deborah d

btw….if you do raw, most of them only have the one meat protein. ie Primal Turkey and Sardine only has Turkey and Sardine. Bravo turkey only has turkey.

#64184 Report Abuse

Would you consider dehydrated food like the Honest Kitchen, they have grain free & grain inclusive mixes, also mixes where you add the protein of your choice.
    Orijen has a kibble called regional red I think?? it does not contain chicken.
    Freeze dried is also something to look at

#64193 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Canine Caviar Grain Free

#64214 Report Abuse

Victor Grain Free Yukon River. My dog is also allergic to chicken and Victor is a great food and is in our rotation.

#64246 Report Abuse
    Phillip O

Thanks to all that responded. I am new to DFA and was curious about the posts about food rotation? I spoke to people at our vets and they said that rotation of food was not recommended. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have two English cream golden retrievers that have been eating Natural Balance Bison and sweet potatoes. Natural Balance was one of the few dog foods with no chicken. Since joining DFA, I have noticed many dog foods that offer chicken free foods. After reading good and bad reviews that were posted on this forum, its very overwhelming about which food to try.

#64248 Report Abuse

Phillip O
    Did you happen to ask your vet what the rationale behind not feeding a rotational diet was?
    Does he or she eat the same exact thing day in day out their entire lives?
    I suspect many may agree or disagree but here goes if you pups stay on the same food day in day out and suddenly develop itchy ears, eyes ,paw licking they will say an allergy has developed and an elimination diet is necessary or even better they will want to prescribe a prescription diet, while visits ,tests etc and you feeling helpless and your wallet gets thinner and thinner.
    From most of the reading I have done eating the same food can actually cause problems for some dogs. That’s why offering different proteins different brands is actually beneficial.

I know how overwhelming this site can be,if i may I would suggest you first decide on what TYPE of food you want to feed: Kibble, canned, freeze dried , commercial raw, dehydrated, home cooked, real raw,and then look at the 4-5 star rating within the food,
    I feed kibble but I lightly cook a topper of turkey chicken beef to up the protein or you can do kibble with a topper of canned. Kibble w a raw patty. so many varieties. I used to stay on this site most of the night trying to figure out what to try, plea don’t to that.
    There are very helpful knowledgeable folks to guide you on this site
    Good luck.

#64260 Report Abuse

Some people feed their dog/s an entire bag of food and then rotate to a new brand/bag. Some rotate so that every meal is different. Like Cheryl above me asked, do you eat the same thing every meal/every day of your life? I’d guess not and I’m sure our animals would prefer not to as well.

Also, some recommend phasing in/out from old to new foods, while others simply give the new food. I fall into the last category of both giving a new food and different food at each meal. I rotate between 2 or 3 brands/proteins at a time. Currently we are using Wellness Simple Salmon and Merrick Steak and potatoes. Our red meat food is about to run out so we’ll be trying I and Love and You’s Raw dehydrated Beef when that happens.

#64261 Report Abuse

Also, if your dogs are allergic to chicken, you’ll need to avoid ingredients labeled poultry fat (if it doesn’t specify the meat you can guarantee it has chicken fat in it, learned the hard way), and of course meal/bone by products that don’t specify the animal type it came from.

#64262 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Just a suggestion, but you might not want to go from a 2-star, 20% protein, limited ingredient food (NB bison and sweet potato) to a 5-star, 33% (and higher) protein food. That might be too much of a change for your dog, unless you do a very slow transition. Sometimes I like to suggest changing foods in increments. Try a 3.5-4 star food for a while, then try 4.5-5 stars. Pro Pac Ultimates Grain Free (fish, lamb and beef recipes) and Nutrisource Grain Free Seafood Select might be two options for you to start with. They range from 23-25% protein. Just a thought!

#64453 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Phillip, as I understand it there are several reasons to do a rotation diet. One is for variety for the dog, flavor-wise. Another reason is to give the dog different ingredients in the food. Every food has different basic ingredients, some have oats, rice, peas, etc. , something to help bind the food to keep a kibble shape. Also different supplements in varying amounts. By rotating the foods the dog gets a variety of all these things, not too much or too little of any one thing. For example, rice is known to contain arsenic (absorbed from the soil it’s grown in). A little is not harmful but if your dog food was always the same thing, like a turkey and brown rice variety, he could potentially build up too much arsenic in his body. By doing a rotation diet, you’d avoid that kind of thing. Another point , if you find several foods that your dog does well on, you can take advantage of sales and save a few dollars now and then.

#64473 Report Abuse
    Phillip O

I purchased a 4lb bag of Zignature Lamb and a bag of the turkey today. No more Natures Balance for us. I am going to start a rotation of foods for my 4 legged friends, the problem is finding the correct foods. I’ll start with 4lb bags, and if they like it, put it in their rotation. I’m old school so I hope this food rotation routine isn’t a fading fad. Don’t let me hear months from now that food rotation for your dogs is harmful( LOL)
    thanks for all the input

#64474 Report Abuse
    Phillip O

sorry I meant Natural Balance not Natures Balance

#64475 Report Abuse

Oh it’s no fad and yay! Your dogs will thank you. Their digestive health will thank you.

#64870 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I also had never heard of a rotational food diet until I joined this website.
    I’m still trying to figure out how to do it.

#64873 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

My foster dogs get a food change cold turkey and I have three different foods open at once and top it with various canned foods and probiotics. I keep their food around 27-33% and they don’t have issues with that.

#64896 Report Abuse

Hi Peggy,
    I too, am trying hard to figure out how to introduce the various commercial raw proteins to my girls, I think we just have to do it!!! Slowly, but, I do truly believe it is their best interests long term.
    My new puppy Millie is on orijen & horizon kibble both excellent, but I do think as many have advised if she can handle all raw I am going to go for it. Today will be the 1st for the Vital Essentials Fish, I am keeping my fingers & toes crossed she & my older gal Pepper will do ok.
    Pepper has been doing ok on the Honest Kitchen, which i plan to introduce to Millie soon.
    Good luck to you –

#64971 Report Abuse
    ellen k

Please Help. I have an 8 month old Old English sheepdog pup. I startd him on nutro natural lamb and rice. His poop was soft and smelled horrible. I read the ingredients to my vet. When I got to the “chicken fat”, he said to find a food with only plain lamb. All I could find at thistime was Natural Balance, puppies to adults large breed food. He has been on this until now. He is 8 months old, weighs 69 lbs,. His mom weighs 50 lbs, his dad weighs 95 lbs. The protein content is only 21 % The calaium is 1% and Phos is 0.8%. I am worried that the protein is to low., but this food has kept his poop great. I tried switching to Fromm LB puppy, but the stools were mushy and smelly again. Did I go too fast or was it the chicken formula. TOTW has a Pacific stream puppy but not large breed. protein 26 % ca 1.2, Phos 1. I also heard about Canine Cavier for LB puppy. 25% protein and acceptable ca and PH according to dog food forum. As you can see, I am driving myself crazy. We live in an apartment in NY so I am thinking he doesn’t need a very high protein, but am I wrong??? My vet is no help in nutrition. PLEASE ADVISE .
    Ellen

#65358 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I’m seriously beginning to think that my dogs have a sensitivity to chicken as well.
    They are fine with Turkey, Lamb, Beef (which they don’t like, but don’t have a sensitivity to), Salmon, etc. But Chicken… even on the grain-free, my LadyBug vomits, and Tebow gets diarrhea.

#65874 Report Abuse
    Phillip O

I just purchased a bag of VERUS adult maintenance lamb n rice. Trial and error till I find the correct blend for my buddies

#67277 Report Abuse
    Sandra D

I have been cooking for my dogs for almost a year. This has made rotation easy. After every crock pot full, they get a different combo of foods. About 1 month ago my daughter’s 12 year old poodle started throwing up almost daily. The vet said the rotation was bad and the dogs must be on a consistent diet. I disagree, but my son-one-law believes the vet must always be right (even though his personal doctor is almost always wrong).

The poodle was administered heavy doses of anti-vomiting meds. I am feeding a five star dog food right now to all the dogs. While the poodle is no longer throwing up, he still obviously feels bad.
    Any ideas on what I can do to help?

#67285 Report Abuse
    Susan M

Horizon Legacy has a salmon and pea recipe and I believe it has no chicken.

#67332 Report Abuse

Sandra,
    Why the correlation between what you cooked and the vomiting? Could have been a virus the poodle got from walking and sniffing something, maybe because of the age his/her system is changing,and possibly something in your home cooked meal doesn’t agree with him/her anymore. Is the poodle off the meds? You say he still feels bad,all day only after meals?
    If after meals you mast have to go bland very bland boiled beef with a cooked sweet potato or plain canned pumpkin NOT THE PIE FILLING. If inflammation is brewing stay away from boiled rice. Please don’t get me started on vets and nutrition, if your daughter goes back i guarantee it will be suggested a veterinary diet be purchased.
    I know my older fur-kid went through the same thing in Dec started throwing up every day after eating she can’t tolerate kibble anymore started her on the honest kitchen dehydrated food and commercial raw -big difference so far.
    It’s all a process of elimination and that sad to say means no treats either until you can get to the bottom of the problem,BLAND BLAND for a few weeks then slowly very slowly introduce 1 thing at a time. Kibble may be to hard on the puppy’s system.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.