šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Blake P

Hey everyone! We are hoping to bringing home a new member to our family soon. A Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy. I have been doing a ton of research as far as feeding raw foods once we get her home. I have a 4, almost 5 year old and a few months after the puppy is brought home will have a newborn in the house.

My concern is having raw food all over the place or the fact that the puppy may be licking us/household items and obviously her toys. Of course keeping everything clean in the kitchen and feeding the puppy outside are obvious ways to help but the saliva, etc. on things gives worries me.

Is this a misguided worry? What do you guys do to keep your minds at easy with the little ones in the house.

I have considered simply cooking the food but of course that eliminates the option of serving some raw bone and of course loss of nutrients once cooked.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#94183 Report Abuse
    anonymous

See above post “Switching to Raw Food (Teeth Question)”
    Also: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=raw+diet
    Hope this helps.

“Raw diets are another popular option on the market today. Studies have shown that 20-35% of raw poultry and 80% of raw food dog diets tested contained Salmonella. This poses a health risk for your pet, but also for humans. This is especially true for children or immunocompromised adults, whether exposed to the raw food directly, or the feces of the pet eating the raw food. Additionally, there is increased risk of other bacterial infections and parasitic diseases when feeding raw diets. And the bottom line is there is no reason to believe raw food is healthier than cooked food”. (excerpt from:) https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/choosing-the-right-diet-for-your-pet/

#94186 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Blake-

Firstly, congrats on the Ridgeback puppy. They are beautiful loyal dogs!

I do think your concerns about exposing the younger members of your family to Salmonella, E.coli, listeria and other pathogens is valid and justified. This is of great concern to the new arrival as his/her immune system will not be strong enough to withstand any exposure.

The second leering concern comes with the health and development of the puppy. Here is a great article written by holistic veterinary nutritionist Dr. Susan Wynn on large breed puppy growth, development and nutrition. She feeds and advocates for raw and home cooked diets, however not for growing puppies, let alone ones that will reach 50lbs+ at maturity.

Feeding large breed puppies

Consider what she has to say before deciding on this type of diet for your Ridgeback puppy. I would also consult your pediatrician about the risk of raw food to your young ones and see what he/she has to say.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.