New puppy–help with food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition New puppy–help with food

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Amy G

Hi everyone–I need some help. We just brought home an 8 week old Boxer puppy 3 days ago (who is adorable btw) and he will not eat his food. The breeder was feeding him Purina Puppy Chow, wetted down until soft. She told us that he was a fast eater and to watch him. The first day we brought him home he ate very little. The second day he refused to eat it at all. I went and bought Blue Wilderness Puppy food to mix with the Purina to transition him over but he will not eat this at all. I wetted it down with low sodium chicken broth until soft, he sniffs the bowl and walks away. So for almost an entire day he refused to eat. I went to PetSmart and bought a few tubs of Nature’s Recipe puppy food and he lapped them up completely. We were excited that he finally started to eat. I was worried about just feeding him the wet food so I tried mixing it in with the Blue kibble and he wouldn’t eat it, but once I put down just the wet food he started eating. I saw on here that Nature’s recipe pure essentials got 5 stars for wet food but then I saw someone else said it wasn’t good? So now I’m completely confused as to what to go and buy him for tomorrow because I only have 2 tubs left. He’s about 9 pounds now and according to that weight, I’m guessing he should be eating 1 3/4-2 tubs per meal? 3 times a day? I have a black Lab that eats TOTW with pulled beef/chicken as a topper but she has never had a problem eating just dry kibble. Is eating just wet food going to be bad for him in the end? I’m just overwhelmed with the choices and want to make sure we are giving him the best nutrition possible. I do have a lawn and garden center near me that sells TOTW and some other high end canned dog food that I could check out but would Nature’s choice do for now? Thank you so much for all your help.

#60934 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Leave him on the puppy chow(oh that hurts me to say that) for a couple weeks, until he is used to living with you. All this changing around is going to give him diarrhea. It’s OK if he doesn’t eat as much as normal for a couple days. You can mix a spoonful or two into his old food, but any more than that and you’ll end up with a sick puppy.

#60971 Report Abuse
    Julie L

When I got my little “thow away” puppy I had no idea what to feed her. She was all of maybe 7weeks old. I knew from my other dog to stay away from Blue (way too high in protein). I thought about wet food, but dislike having to feed that so I thought I’d just try her on what I had my 2yr old on. I gave her Wild Calling. According to the label it’s good from puppies to older adults. I started her on elk,whitefish mixed with a little warm water and she took to it right away. No problem with stools. She is now 7mo old still on Wild Calling (I rotate thru the different tastes). She’s a small one about 9-10 lbs now and I have always given her 1/3cup w/warm water twice a day. If you go on their website I think you can still get free coupon for buy 1 get 1 free.
    BTW with chicken broth make sure you dilute it half/half even the low sodium one.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Julie L.
    #60973 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I’m glad you found a food that works for your dog! One comment about Blue, while I wouldn’t feed it because of all the quality control issues, high-protien being a kidney issue is actually a myth.

#61030 Report Abuse
    Julie L

My big complaint about Blue was my pups stools were always soft to the point of no form. I checked with my vet and that’s when she advised me to change to a different food. When I found Wild Calling my dogs are doing so good on it and their weight is always right on the mark.

#61287 Report Abuse
    Amy G

Thanks for the help! He has started eating the Blue mixed in with his puppy chow but we are down to 1/4 of that. I’m also adding some natures recipe wet puppy food to it as he seems to really like that. He’s eating about 3/4 cups of dry food with maybe 2 tablespoons if the way mixed in 3 times a day. He always eats most of his food. I have noticed that his stools are still really soft, not diarrhea, but not completely formed either. He’s going like 4/6 times a day, sometimes more. Since he’s already transitioning into the blue, once he’s fully on it, when is a good time to try and switch him again or should I just leave it for a while? He doesn’t have a vet appointment until after Xmas and they are huge science diet vets…. Thanks so much and happy holidays!!

#61289 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

You could try adding some of The Honest Kitchen’s Perfect Form supplement to improve his stools. Here is the link to it on the THK website: http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/treats-supplements/supplements/perfect-form

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.