New Food Suggestion Please (Picky Eater)

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition New Food Suggestion Please (Picky Eater)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pat c

Hello. I’ve read these forums with interest and would sincerely appreciate a recommendation from those more knowledgeable than I.

We adopted our first dog about a year ago. She’s a 30 pound total mutt (some american staffy). She’s in good health with no major issues. Some eye gunk that mostly cleared up with better food and some dandruff and maybe light allergies (nothing diagnosed). She’s gotten very fussy with her dry food and I’d love some good recommendations on what to try next. I’ve read a lot but I’m not an expert and it seems like every time I see positive review on something, I find negative ones as well so I’m pretty confused and would rather seek guidance from those who know, than keep trying to guess! 🙂

After switching her off the crap they were feeding her in the shelter, we’ve cycled through
    – Nutro,
    – Orijen Adult Grain Free (which she was on for a while and she seemed to like but we stopped when we saw the negative reviews and new location/forumla),
    – Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (she didn’t seem to like it that much and he stools were much softer)
    – Wellness CORE Grain Free Original Turkey & Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food (liked it more than TOTW but still iffy), and now
    – Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Wild Game Duck, Turkey, Boar & Rabbit (likes it a touch more than the previous blend, but doesn’t love it).

Throughout this time we’ve also mixed in Stella & Chewy’s dinner patties which she LOVES. They just seem too expensive to offer as her entire diet.

Lately, she has a lot less interest in all of the foods above and will sometimes even refuse to begin eating, or not finish, unless we mix something else in. Now I am crumbling in one Stella & Chewy’s pattie with her dry food to get her to eat.

I’d like to try a couple of new options but am overwhelmed but the amount of information on the different types of foods, flavors, acceptable ingredients, and different types of diets and 5 star reviews out there.

Based on the above, I’d sincerely appreciate a couple of other good recommendations for a picky eater. While the Stella & Chewy’s feels a bit expensive as a primary meal, assume cost isn’t really a factor here.

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any advice!

#102260 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Pat,
    Regarding her being picky, practice Tough Love: put the food down, leave for 15 minutes. Pick up what she doesn;t eat & she gets nothing else until the next meal. No treats.
    Foods: I’d generally suggest switching brands & types but IMO, you can’t do that until she isn’t picky any longer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.