šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jude
    Participant

Has anyone tried this food or have there been any reviews on it except on Dr. Harvey’s website? Our dog has chronic renal failure and has been on Purina NF kibble for years. Now he hates it. We tried Purina NF canned food and the odor makes me nearly vomit. My husband wants to try Dr. Harvey’s Canine Health food. It’s very expensive plus we have to add the animal protein. We are vegetarians and I don’t want to handle animal products.

#25813 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you are opposed to feeding it, then why worry about reviews for it? I haven’t tried that particular one, but I have fed Oracle and Veg to Bowl(another premix that you add meat to) and my dog did very well on both. The Veg to Bowl needed me to actually get my hands in it to mix it enough, so that might be a big turn off for you. The nice thing was that I could make a huge batch then portion it out and freeze it until I need it, so after that one big hands on episode, I didn’t have to actually touch it again to feed it.

#25826 Report Abuse
    Jude
    Participant

We want to give our dog food that he likes and will not reject. My husband could do all the things with the animal meat. I have one concern, which is when a previous dog arrived at our home with end-stage renal failure, I ended up having to make her food. I got a lot of help from the Kidney Yahoo group and learned how to balance the phosphorus-calcium ratio. I am assuming that I would have to do that balancing with Dr. Harvey’s Canine health food. Am I correct?
    Jude

#25828 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The premix should have the necessary calcium in it. As long as you mix it according to their directions, it should be balanced. Good luck with your boy.

#25830 Report Abuse
    Jude
    Participant

Thanks so much.

#31981 Report Abuse
    Dorenda

Jude, I am new to this forum and just posted under “renal failure” before I saw this post of yours. Here is my situation: my dog was snake-bit about a year ago and we have been fighting renal failure ever since (high BUN and Creatine levels). The vet has him on Hills Science Diet KD canned and dry food but he will hardly eat it. I end up maxing it with Bisquick to make doggie treats (1:1 ratio) but I know he’s barely eating enough to get by. Do you have any suggestions–I read in your post something about some food you make from Kidney Yahoo? Thanks for ANY help!

#54128 Report Abuse
    Jennifer S

I am waiting on my order of this dog food. I have a 10 year old Rottie, Penelope, and she has been on several different prescription diets. She has IBS, early kidney failure and pancreatic flare ups. I searched for hours to read about any food that could help her rebound from losing weight. She has lost 15 lbs in the last six months. I have spent a so much money on ultrasounds, xrays, Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) and the prescription food. I am ready to try this food with optimism. I plan on adding venison to the mix because this is the protein source she is used to.

I will post results in a month.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.