need wet food with drier less-creamy consistency

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health need wet food with drier less-creamy consistency

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    T B
    Participant

Hi, we have a tiny Chihuahua with no teeth and a malformed jaw, and getting food up is a challenge for her. She does best with soft food separated into very small pieces spread out on a raised-up plate. The problem is most wet foods are very creamy and stick to the plate. She does well with Cesar Classic Loaf in Sauce which is drier / less sticky, easy to break up and the pieces stay separate and moveable. Unfortunately the Cesar food tends to cause her some digestive issues. Can anyone suggest some other wet brands / recipes that have a drier consistency?

#157511 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

T B she might do well with freeze dried. I use Primal and Stella Chewy’s for my two Chihuahuas’ However, there are many other brands related on this site you can try also. . You can break up the nuggets/disc to the size she can eat and then hydrate a little. The consistency will be soft but not mushy at all. You can break up as big or small as you like. Easy to feed and they go crazy for the taste and they get 5* reviews on DFA . Here’s the site for Primal. They also have raw called Pronto which you just take straight from freeze, put in bowl and it’s ready to eat in five minutes or so without water. https://primalpetfoods.com/pages/canine-choose-your-primal
    They are not sold at supermarkets or petsmart/ petcos’ . You can order online or if you have a pet supply store in your area.
    Hope this helps.

#157526 Report Abuse
    T B
    Participant

Patricia thanks, I have read suggestions of freeze dried for dogs with no teeth but can’t imagine how it would work — isn’t it meat pieces? She literally can’t chew anything. We used to mix her wet food with crushed kibble soaked in water, until we realized she did better with just the wet food. If I crushed the freeze dried into tiny granules and soak it in water, would it really be soft enough?

#157528 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You might take a look at Freshpet in a loaf that is not mushy wet but is solid enough to slice up.

https://freshpet.com/dog/freshpet-select/small-dog-chicken-turkey-recipe-with-cranberries-spinach/

#157573 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Yes TB you can make it as soft in consistency as your pet likes and can eat. Some of the protein flavors in Primal and Stella’s are easier to break up. But all can just be crumbled and softened. Here is a video and towards the end you can see how it breaks up in water to easy to eat portions even for dogs with no teeth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvTOALTqruQ

#157612 Report Abuse
    T B
    Participant

Thanks Pugmomsandy and thanks again Patricia A! I will look into both of those options.

#158127 Report Abuse
    WondrousPups
    Participant

I found Red Barn Naturals Fish (canned) food is drier consistency. Just adding another option here:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.