šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Vonda G

I am brand new to this site. I have 2 indoor dogs. One Sheltie and one Border. 35 and 40 pounds. They are 6 and 9 yrs old. I presently feed them IAMS can and dry which they are doing great on and maintaining healthy weight. I would like to find a better food after all I’ve read on here but really can’t afford it. Is there any can dog food healthier than IAMS for similar price? Like no more than $1 a can? If I were financially able I would. Im 62 Yrs and out of work as nurse due to injury. My food budget is cut for me too. Just trying to get through until I can get back to work.

#109307 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, Vonda, and welcome. Yes, this is a wonderful site. I’m in the same position as you (sort of): Age 70, off since hip replacement surgery at age 45 (more than the usual involved) and living on the same strict budget as yourself. Having said that, I hate to ask you to spend money, but if you join Editor’s Choice on this site, they have a listing of BUDGET-FRIENDLY DOG FOODS. Now, I will warn you that ALL of the better dog foods are more expensive than the grocery-store brands, but you will find three things will happen: (1) There will be less pooping because there will be less filler (grains); (2) The dogs will be happier and healthier, thereby living longer; and, (3) You will use less food than you did with the cheaper brands. Taking that all into account and adding it to the fact that a $1/can food is pretty scarce, I still believe you’ll find something on there that will be affordable. Follow the links for saving money buying on line, and either Google or phone search for the recommended brands in bigger retailers (i.e., Pet Smart if you’re in the U.S. and Pet Valu in Canada). Maybe even good old Amazon sells dog food; I’m not sure. But I wish you well.

#109329 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Vonda-
    I find that Kirkland’s Nature’s Domain (Costco), 4Health (Tractor Supply), Variety and Pure Balance (Walmart) and Purina One (most retail and pet supplies) are affordable brands that I regularly feed. Hope this helps!

#109333 Report Abuse

I think Dave’s Pet makes a fairly reasonably priced canned food. Sometimes you can find the Whole Earth Farms pate on sale for very cheap. I find that I can get a little further out of those because it’s a fairly dry pate and if you add a little water to it, it makes a nice soup.

#109351 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Let us know what you decide after all your research, will you? There are many others, like us, who have to count the pennies. [Except that we no longer HAVE pennies in Canada! (lol) ]

#109408 Report Abuse
    ray q

For budget food I recommend Chewys.com many of there items are reviewed on this site, also the owner of this site has a link to chewys.com I recommend you use that link. you should be able to find some good low budget food with 3 stars and up. By the way since you got injured at work you can apply for workmans comp. But if you are also getting ssi you need to tell social security over the phone how much you are getting from workmans comp

#109450 Report Abuse
    Vonda G

Hi yall and thanks for all the advice. Yes I did join Editors Choice when I came on this site. Im on the ticket to work through SS and yes, just sent them my report this past week on being out on WC. Although I am yet to receive a check from them to replace a portion of my income. It seems like they are flat out ignoring me except to pay for my medical bills. Hopefully Im healed and back to work soon. I have ordered through Chewey.com for past 2 years and yes they offer alot of discounts. Great Site! So far, I researched all the Budget Friendly Editors Choice list and its still pretty pricey. I hadn’t heard of Kirkland’s or thought of Cosco and will check it out for sure. And also will check out Whole Earth. I tried 4Health and my dogs didn’t like it. They’re a picky pair LOL

#109453 Report Abuse
    Vonda G

Ty…Is this the Pate you are talking about that you can make a gravy of? https://www.chewy.com/whole-earth-farms-small-breed-recipe/dp/145045

#109458 Report Abuse

That one but sometimes the 13oz cans go on sale. Thatā€™s where you get the best deal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.