Need to find a larger Kibble

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Need to find a larger Kibble

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jenirose123

I have a 2 1/2 year old American Bulldog, 115lbs at last vet visit,
    who has so many issues with food. When we try to change him he has such tummy issues
    that we really try not to unless we have to. When we got him the breeder had him on Royal Canin, that caused him to have repeated ear infections and loose stools as well as on occasion he would lick his paws and legs from itching. So we switched to Nutro Natural Choice Sensitive venison and rice which solved all issues except it caused a new one, he was now gagging and vomiting a lot because the kibble was tiny. So after one bag we stay with Nutro but switched to the large breed lamb and brown rice as the sensitive does not have a “large breed” option. He is doing fine as to the stools, ear infections, and licking. The vomiting is less but still present and omg the gas he has will clear a room! I know or at least I’m pretty sure these issues are due to the fact that he gobbles the kibble it is still so much smaller then what the Royal Canin was, even with the large breed. We have tried putting a blocker in his bowl but really he doesn’t gobble so much as swallow whole they are just to small. So really what I’m asking for I guess is either another idea on how to make this food work or suggestions on a similar food with larger kibble size. Thanks!

#35295 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Dogs aren’t made to chew so they usually swallow food whole. That isn’t usually a problem, but bolting food too fast can be. As you’ve seen, it causes them to swallow a lot of air. Orijen has big kibble size, but for dogs with sensitive stomachs, making kibble harder to digest really isn’t a good idea. Try speading his food out on a cookie sheet so he has to pick up the pieces one at a time instead, or put his food in a muffin tin. A great trick I just learned about on here is to put a length of large link chain in the food bowl so he has to get the pieces out from among the links, and chain is dishwasher safe.

#35300 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I fostered a bulldog for a couple of months and she did fine with my small kibbles (since I have pugs) mixed with canned food. The moisture made it easier to pick up and swallow and I could mix in probiotics and digestive enzymes with her meals so she didn’t have a gas problem.

#35316 Report Abuse
    jenirose123

I would never have thought of a chain! Lol
    I’ve never done any additives like that, where do I purchase the probiotics and enzymes at?
    Thanks so much guys! Some great ideas!

#35317 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant
    #35330 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

The above suggestions were great. Only one of my dogs actually chews his food, and he has the biggest Kibbles available too. Spreading out his food, brain teasers, etc are wonderful ways to slow down the eating. Occasionally, for my fast-eater, he will get his daily food handed to him 1-2 pieces at a time while I’m playing with him or something.

#35367 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Putting the little kibble in an IQ Ball might help as well. He has to push the ball around to let out some kibble pieces.

#49270 Report Abuse
    James P

Royal Canin has a line called Boxer 26. may now be called Boxer maxi? Tis has an “S’ shaped kibble especially for boxers and Bull dogs with an under bite. It is considerably larger that a regular kibble and kind of forces the dog to crunch up the kibble instead of inhaling and sucking it down. Works well for my Boxers.

#69702 Report Abuse

The largest kibble I’ve found is NOW Fresh Large Breed by Petcurean. It’s rated 4.5 stars and has been very good for my German Shepherd Dog with a sensitive stomach. I highly recommend. I add raw extra virgin unrefined coconut oil and a every other day I mix in either scrambled eggs, salmon, fresh cooked chicken or ground beef. Just for variety and some fresh foods.

#69830 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

I use a slow feeder piece for my little one, may not work too well with a larger dog. It’s called Gobblestopper and I got it from Petco. It’s a little bone-shaped thing that suction-cups to the bottom of your bowl. Works for my little one, but a puzzle or spreading it out may be easier for the bigger ones. Good luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.