šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Tonia N

I live in Ontario, Canada.

I have an English Mastiff/Rottweiler puppy, who is now 6 months old. An upsetting situation has happened and I am having to switch his food from Acana Ranchlands to something that is more affordable.

I am very upset to have to do this, because he’s doing so well on this food, but a large bag will last 2 weeks and now funds are not allowing that. I need another food idea that is similar to Acana Ranchlands, Grain-free and will allow for less food intake (if that is possible).

When we brought him home they had him on Puppy Chow which gave him an UTI, and I quickly switched him to the Costco (Kirkland, in red bag) Grain-Free Brand. Which was better and he improved without any medications. Then he was getting sick and throwing up, wimpering in the night. I then found out that a lot of other dogs experienced this as well. Which is why we went to Acana.

I can’t afford this food on my income now. So I would love to have ideas on other budget dog foods that will be comparable to Acana. I am even open to hearing other who actually make their own foods for their LARGE puppies.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

#72498 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

In the forum below this one, Diet & Health issues, there is a stickie highlighted in yellow on large breed puppy nutrition. Thats the place to look for the list of appropriate foods for your puppy.

#72704 Report Abuse
    Tonia N

I think there is some confusion. Thanks for your direction, but I was hoping to find something along the lines of ‘budget’ foods that would last longer and be comparable to Acana. I live in Ontario, Canada and I understand we have different foods offered here. I will look at the area you suggested, but it was not what I was asking. Thanks.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Tonia N.
    #72706 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Tonia- Marie did actually point you in a good direction if you are interested in feeding raw/homemade. Hound Dog Mom who is the one who made the thread focusing on large/giant breed puppies does in fact feed a raw homemade diet and talks about it in that thread. It is however a very long thread but a good and helpful thread. Unfortunetly large breed puppies have certain diet requirements until 8mo’s of age that help prevent many diabilitating skeletal diseases, that can end up costing thousands of dollars in vet bills.

Hound Dog Mom has a list of foods that have the proper calcium levels for large/giant breed puppies, some are grain-free and others are grain-inclusive. I would start there and figure out what your budget IS and then compare a few that she has on her list and see if any are budget friendly enough. They are all 4 to 5 star in quality so if you are looking for something 3 stars or lower to save money A) that list won’t be too helpful and B) the food may not have the correct calcium levels a large breed puppy needs.

#72707 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

This is the list of foods that have appropriate Calcium levels for a large breed puppy: https://docs.google.com/a/dogfoodadvisor.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/edit?pli=1

You would just need to research what the prices would be in your area.

#72790 Report Abuse
    Tonia N

Is there a way I can print that list off? It’s greyed out on my side. thanks again

#72801 Report Abuse
    C4D

It’s a PDF file. You may need to update your PDF reader. It opened for me.

#72816 Report Abuse
    Tonia N

I have my reader updated, I am not able to ‘print’ the list off so I can take it to the store… The print icon is grayed out… I am wanting to know if there is a way I can print it off to a hard copy.

#72817 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Just a thought. Go to the local library. You can use their computer and printer. I don’t have a printer, so that’s what I do. I find the library to be user friendly.

#72822 Report Abuse
    Tonia N

Sorry? What???? I have a computer and I have a printer (with ink and paper even) – all working, may have to add. I have an updated system including the updated reader, please read what I am writing. The ICON that you press to print is GRAYED OUT. It does NOT allow me to print, I am asking if there is another way to get the listed printed.

#72823 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

I understand, I was just offering you an option or a temporary solution, if all else fails. More people should use the local library, imo.
    Best of luck.

#72826 Report Abuse
    Tonia N

If the link is grey out here, then it would be greyed out at the library, but thanks for trying to help. I actually had to call my dad who said the security settings (on the document) prevent printing and taught me a work around.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Tonia N.
    #72829 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

glad you got it working! i was going to suggest just copying and pasting the whole PDF file into Microsoft word or something

#72830 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

You can copy and paste the information into a Word document and print that. It won’t look as pretty, but at least you’ll have all the information.

You should also be able to register with Google docs and then be able to print.

#72935 Report Abuse
    Tonia N

I am registered with Google, that’s why I don’t understand why it wouldn’t allow me to print, and I was trying to copy and paste but it wasn’t showing a copy or paste feature. Just telling you just in case you meet someone in the future with this issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.