NEED HELP WITH FINDING A 5* LIMITED INGREDIENT FOOD

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum NEED HELP WITH FINDING A 5* LIMITED INGREDIENT FOOD

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JOHN B

I have joined this site because I to have been going CRAZY trying to find a kibble for my 2 German Shepherds. I WANT a 5* limited ingredient dog food but I do not believe that there is one. Perhaps someone can shed some lite on this topic or even suggest a food choice.

#109259 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If you go to DOG FOOD ADVISOR HOME and look at its menu choices, you will see a selection entitled “5 STAR DRY DOG FOOD” and there is quite a long list. Each click will bring you several selections, some of which will probably be 4* or 4.5*, but there SHOULD be at least ONE at 5* or it shouldn’t be on that list. I, too, wonder, though, if a true 5-Star exists because, if it did, that would make it PERFECT and … well, nothing is; right? I settled for 4.5 stars and my Beagle LOVES it.

#109265 Report Abuse
    JOHN B

Yes one would think or at least HOPE there might be ONE 5* limited ingredient kibble.

I did exactly as you suggested and then I preceeded to search the forum. I then asked my question. Hoping to get answers from kind individuals such as yourself. So I will go back and meticulously search once again for the magical, hidden, mysterious, 5* kibble.

I would appreciate knowing what it is that you are happy with in the world of kibble.

#109270 Report Abuse

I think the problem with a 5* LID is that I’ve noticed most single meat sourced foods get knocked .5-1*. I once had a sales rep for a popular LID food tell me that the reason they came out with the multimeat formula in their line was to get the 5* rating on nutrition websites. No idea if this was actually true or not, but once that flavor was added, that one formula got a 5* rating, with all else being the same across foods.

#109271 Report Abuse

Maybe look at Zignature Pork or Catfish, both get the 5* marker. They just came out with a goat and guineafowl formula, those may get the higher rating as well.

#109274 Report Abuse
    Mareike

Hi John, “Instinct LID Small Breed with Real Turkey” is rated 5 stars, but likely not “enthusiastically recommended” for large dogs like your German Shepherds. “Instinct LID with Real Duck”, “Instinct LID with Real Turkey”, and “Instinct LID with Real Salmon” are all 4.5 star foods, as is “Natural Balance LID High Protein Turkey Formula”. I agree with TaylorC that LID formulas are usually rated lower (because of lower protein content?).

#109277 Report Abuse
    JOHN B

That sounds a little bit more than coincidental about the multi meat formula. That is very interesting.

I have actually narrowed things down to a couple. I am not really concerned about probiotics being in the kibble because I actually supplement that myself. Please don’t hesitate to offer any insight or opinions.

Zignature
    Petcurean Go Sensitivity & Shine

#109281 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

I highly recommend the Zignature dog food line, the kibble, not the canned. I would personally deliver it to you, it’s THAT good.

It grain free. Free of the most common potential canine allergens: corn, wheat, soy, dairy, and chicken. Nutritionally correct ratio of fruits and vegetables rounds out the recipe with powerful antioxidants, and fiber-rich low glycemic carbohydrates.

Many limited ingredient formulas to choose from. However, since some are exotic proteins, you have to watch to see if your dogs get an allergic reaction to it. My pups tried every 5 Star food on the list and the results were disastrous until Zignature saved their lives. I’ll spare you details. I won’t touch any other brand.

#109288 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, John. You asked what I used. WELL, I was very happy with Blue Buffalo, thinking I was paying extra because I was such a good fur-baby Mother … and then I joined DOG FOOD ADVISOR (sigh). So, I made sure I was using the Chicken & Brown Rice (4.5*), but, like you, began a search for a 5*, ending in an equal frustration to yourself. However, my best friend uses Orijen (we’re in Canada) for her Boxer and swears by it. I, however, was somewhat cowed by the price and have not switched yet. In the meantime, Pet Valu here (not Pet Smart) sells their own brand called Performatrin that I’m wishing I could get DFA to review. They insist it is better than BB, but made no comparison to Orijen. You are getting some interesting feedback that I am also looking into; i.e., Zignature. I’ve never heard of them but hope to find them somewhere in Canada, or on line with delivery here. Onward, ever onward!!

#109289 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

P.S. — Something to keep in mind while searching: Is the ingredient causing the MINUS POINT(S) really that bad? If it has no nutritional value, but no detrimental points are made, does it really matter? I think hard on each ingredient … and then continue with the endless search!

#109294 Report Abuse
    ray q

I don’t know of a 5* dry dog food with limited ingredient( I am not really sure how limited you want to go) I do recommend Orijen dog food as it is one of highest quality dog food) but it cost more than your regular cheap brand name trash. If you really love your dog child I personally don’t mind spending extra money. I want my pets to live as long as is possible. I highly recommend The Honest Kitchen dehydrated dog food or Wysong’s freeze dried products but unless your pet has allergy issues or stomach problems. I would stick with the chicken and beef, don’t try the other exotic foods unless your dog is having allergy problems and of course check with your vet first.

#109300 Report Abuse
    JOHN B

Linda, It sounds like we are very much on the same page. After the weeks of research I “ALMOST” am not even concerned with price anymore. I really can’t see serving something like honest kitchen though $$. I feel there has to be a great kibble to feed my kids. I have to add a very important fact…. My dogs do not have huge allergies even though I have been told one of them has colitis.

I use to feed Orijen but it is too rich for her tummy. I have tried a few other limited ingredient foods that seemed to work for them but there always seems to be a reason to keep looking.Company gets bought out or company relocates and quality of food is in question.

After all my research I am leaning towards Zignature.I am now getting ready to break down ingredients so I can determine if any type of supplementation is needed. Such as splitting a pouch of salmon for breakfast. I feel I am trying to do the right thing for my girls without going overboard. I just want them to get the correct amounts of what they need in the purest and cleanest forum.Then I don’t want it to CHANGE. Is that asking to much…=)

Thanks everyone for the help it is very much appreciated. GREAT SITE FOR SURE…

#109350 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d be interested in hearing how the Zignature turns out. As I said, it took me absolutely ages … months … to finally settle with my grain-free Performatrim Ultra. I give him two tablespoons of canned Blue Buffalo, which he also loves (had to settle for a 4.5 there). As an aside, my best friend adopted a Boxer from a rescue organization and was told Chicken is bad for Boxers. I sincerely hope that isn’t the case for Shepherds. (I know my Beagle is okay with chicken.) She has gone the freeze-dried route with Orijen balanced with a kibble. She started off cooking the food … referred to it as “chambraying” dinner (lol). Four months later, she simply defrosts!

#109522 Report Abuse
    MK S

Can also check out “My Perfect Pet” and Honest Kitchen Limited ingredient diets. It sure would be helpful to search based on exclusion. Many dogs have allergies and I would love to search foods that don’t contain certain ingredients.

#125743 Report Abuse
    JOHN B

UPDATE.. I have moved past Zignature and onto Instinct. I really liked it or I should say my GSD did well on it except for the choking every time she ate due to the tiny size of the kibble. My girl is a S L O W eater and I could not stand hearing her choking so on to my next choice. First Mate….. No choking lol great start…… She seems to be doing well on it.

In about 30 days I will be getting another puppy so it’s food choice time. gotta love it. I could stick with First Mate of course. I also am a fan of Fromms which is made right here in Milwaukee an hour away. My 3rd selection would be Tender and True. If anyone has an opinion on Tender and True I would love to hear it please.
    https://mydoglikes.com/tender-and-true-dog-food-review
    https://dogfood.guru/firstmate/

#130100 Report Abuse
    Linda K

My dog was eating, enjoying, and doing very well on Zignature Zssentials, after months of periodic vomiting and almost-constant diarrhea. Suddenly, after I weaned him onto ZZ, his poop looked textbook perfect, and the vomiting stopped almost completely. I was psyched! Then he was found to have extremely low taurine without cardiac deficiencies, and the cardiologist told me to take him off grain-free food and “avoid exotic meats.” DRAT! My friend, Amelia Z, did a vast amount of research, and she shared with me her findings. I now have him on The Real Meat Company air dried beef recipe dog food. Color me happy! He is once again eating and enjoying it, pooping normally, and hasn’t vomited in a long time. Its exorbitant price tag is a drawback, but my dog’s comfort, mood, and normalcy are worth every penny to me. Chewy carries it, and it is cheaper than anywhere else that I can find. The autoship saves a bit too. Good luck to you! It’s a daunting task and carries with it — for me, at least — a lot of stress, anxiety, angst and even guilt.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.