šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’m terrible at titles, but this website and forum have been such an amazing resource for me over the past few years, so here we go:

I have a 16 months old Catahoula-mix female, Harper, neutered, and active/less active lifestyle. Currently I feed her Victor Ultra 42 dog food, which is high kcal and protein content. Our vet recommended that we lower our protein content because she is not a working dog. So, I’d like to find a food that avoids lower quality grains, limit or eliminates legumes, limits carbs, and limits overall ingredients. After some obsessive research, I am trying to choose between Earthborn Holistics Venture Turkey and Butternut Squash 340 kcal/cup and Canine Caviar’s Open Meadow 541 kcal/cup. I would prefer Canine Caviar based on my readings and ingredients, but I’m concerned that my dog will be starving at getting only 2 cups per day on average with her activity level. With Venture she would eat near 4 cups, split into two servings. Daily requirement to maintain weight determined at 1100 calories from maths at Petnet based on weight, size and activity level.

So, Community, am I missing something important, or am I on the right track? I’d like the food to last as long as possible, but not at the expense of Harper’s health or mental state. Can the higher kcal become more filling without adding too many carbs etc, or is a lower kcal the way to go? I’m not looking to plump up the dog, but rather give the highest ingredients I can afford with the most all around efficiency.

Is there another option aside from RAW, BARF, freeze dried that I am missing with pea/legume free, (mostly) grain free, moderate protein, low carb, no filler, high quality dog food? I live in an area with access to nearly any brand, with online ordering options as well.
    Thank you all for reading, and I look forward to reading your thoughts!

#120139 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

I wouldnā€™t change foods if sheā€™s doing well on the current one and not gaining a lot of weight. How much does she weigh? My cousins 68 lbs in shape lab eats canidae all life stages and only gets 3 cups. I would describe him as medium activity level. He gets to run in the back yard and go on frequent walks but thatā€™s it.
    No reason to change food if heā€™s doing well on it. Higher protein doesnā€™t have any negative effects ther than weight gain in lazy dogs or dogs with diagnosed kidney problems so I would just stay on the Victor.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by haleycookie.
    #120141 Report Abuse

She’s 70 lbs, and the vet says she is in fantastic shape. She gets similar exercise in the back yard, some walks at night, and 3 kids under 8 to run around with. I do notice that she may not eat for a day, then eat 3 cups or so the following day. I assume she’s self regulating. I’d like her to feel more full, and pumping her with more food at 467 kcal/cup plus 42% protein seems to be a bad idea. I’m aware the Canine Caviar is higher kcal, but the 93% digestibility efficiency, and ingredients are attractive. I’ll be in the same boat, likely. We get nearly 7 weeks to a 30lb bag of Victor as it stands now. Is her overall energy level determined by the kcal or protein?

#120142 Report Abuse
    Spy Car
    Participant

The vet is putting you on the wrong track IMO.

You are using one of the best kibbles available (despite my strong preference for PMR raw, as a disclaimer).

Other formulas are going to increase calories from carbohydrates which is a huge negative and will directly de-condition your dog as a result of the dietary change.

The “only working dogs require protein” argument is a fallacy.

Bill

#120143 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“Our vet recommended that we lower our protein content because she is not a working dog. So, Iā€™d like to find a food that avoids lower quality grains, limit or eliminates legumes”

https://www.gofromm.com/fromm-family-classic-adult-dog-food
    Check it out. Always add a little water, and a bit of something….

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by anonymous.
    #120159 Report Abuse

“The vet is putting you on the wrong track IMO.

You are using one of the best kibbles available (despite my strong preference for PMR raw, as a disclaimer).

Other formulas are going to increase calories from carbohydrates which is a huge negative and will directly de-condition your dog as a result of the dietary change.

The ā€œonly working dogs require proteinā€ argument is a fallacy.”

That PMR raw site is amazing. I’m pretty sure my family would vomit during every feeding. Seriously though, going from 17% carbs to more than double, if not more, is not the direction I want to go with Harper. I wouldn’t mind eliminating the peas altogether, but they are a little further down the ingredient list for Victor, and I’ll likely have to compromise protein or fat content. My vet did recommend Natural Balance L.I.D, while not truly horrible, is a step back. Glad she didn’t recommend Hill’s…because I like the practice and would hate to leave it. Thanks Bill, I appreciate your insight.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by CatahoulaLove.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by CatahoulaLove. Reason: Using that English degree
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.