🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevinh219
    Participant

We just got a french bulldog pup, shes currently on dry puppy kibble by Fromm.

We were talking to our vet, and they reccomended for our frenchie, that we should find a food with:
    -Grain-Free
    -Over 30% protein
    -Glucosamine
    -L-carnitine
    -Chondroitin

I know that our Fromm exceeds the protein, but i’m having trouble finding a food that has all of these in it. And when i was at the vet i figured i’d ask after we checked out and didnt see her again, we’re going back in two weeks, but i’m just trying to figure this out now if possible.

Thanks!

#16177 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Kevinh219 –

It sounds like you have a knowledgeable vet – it’s always nice to see a vet recommending a more species-appropriate diet rather than the big name veterinary brands like Science Diet and Purina. 🙂

Rather than looking for a food that has all of these items, I’d suggest just finding a few grain-free puppy foods with over 30% protein that you like and adding the glucosamine, chondroitin and L-carnitine separately. Most supplements present in commercial foods are just for marketing anyways, the food rarely contains high enough levels to have any therapeutic effect. Glucosamine, chondroitin and L-carnitine can all be purchased from human supplement stores/websites – Swanson Vitamins has great prices. Just check with your vet to get recommended dosages.

#16183 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I don’t know about all the ingredients, but Wellness Core Small Breed meets a lot of those criteria. My Cavaliers are eating it as their dry now and Lucy is eating the Small Breed Healthy Weight (not gf).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.