đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jaskirat S

I have been feeding my Husky chicken drumsticks (but I know it is deficient in calcium) since she was a baby, but i give chicken neck and chicken feet for the Calcium. Chicken quarters are way to expensive where I live. Also chicken heart and gizzard and a little liver. So basically two drumsticks a day two necks a day three feet a day and 4 heart and gizzard a day. Also Another question. I just got a husky puppy (3 months old), should I give the same diet or add a drumstick or something?

#116231 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

That’s all you’re feeding? That is NOT a balanced diet. I would put them both on a kibble until you can figure out how to make properly balanced raw meals.
    No an extra drumstick won’t cut it. Expecially for a puppy. Puppy’s need the proper nutrients to grow correctly. They also need DOUBLE the food an adult dog needs typically for atleast a year depending on the breed. So one chicken leg isn’t going to cut it. I would put them back on kibble and figure out more balanced raw meals. Or buy pre made raw until you can figure it out.

#116268 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

I second what haleycookie said. This diet is dangerous.

#116269 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Jaskirat,
    Go to pet shop & buy a Large Breed Puppy dry kibble, this way your puppy will get all the nutritents he/she needs for growing & bones while she/he’s a pup..
    google “Diet for Large Breed Puppy”

* “Royal Canine” wrote-
    The growth rate of a puppy is influenced by the nutrient density of the food and the amount of food fed. Regardless of whether puppies grow slow or fast, they will still reach a similar adult weight. It is critical that puppies are fed for optimal growth and bone development, rather than maximal growth to avoid skeletal abnormalities.

Three dietary components have been implicated as factors that increase the incidence of skeletal disease in large and giant breed puppies; protein, calcium and energy.

* “Hills” Wrote-
    Large and giant breed dogs — Great Danes, German shepherds, Labrador retrievers and the like — have different nutritional needs than smaller breeds. All puppies are born with their bones still developing, but large breed puppies are more susceptible to developmental bone and joint disease during their rapid growth phase to 1 year of age. In fact, large breeds reach 50 percent of their body weight at around 5 months of age. Smaller breeds reach 50 percent of their body weight at around 4 months of age.
    The growth rates of all puppies are dependent on the food that they eat. Puppies should be fed to grow at an average, rather than a maximum, growth rate. Compared to smaller-sized puppies, large breed puppies need restricted levels of fat and calcium to moderate their rate of growth. They’ll still reach their full-grown size, just over a longer period of time, which will result in healthy development of bones and joints for these breeds.
    Two key nutrients that should be decreased for large breed puppies are fat (and total calories) and calcium:
    *Fat: High fat/calorie intake causes rapid weight gain, and bones/muscles aren’t developed enough to support the excessive body weight. Controlling the fat level and total calories in the food for these puppies may help reduce the risk of developmental bone and joint problems.
    *Calcium: Excessive calcium intake increases the likelihood of skeletal problems. It is also recommended that calcium supplements not be fed with any commercial pet food for growth.

Kibbles to look at
    “Eagle Pack” Large breed puppy dry formula for puppy
    “Eagle Pack” Large Breed Adult dry formula for your adult dog
    “Canidae” Large Breed, All Life Stages Turkey & Brown Rice formula can be feed to both your dogs.
    “Wellness Core Large Breed Puppy…
    “Wellness Core” Large Breed Adult..
    “4Health” Grain Free Large Breed Puppy.
    “4Health” Grain Free Large Breed Adult. Sold at Tractor Supply shop & is cheaper..

If you’re on facebook join a Canine Raw Feeding group..
    “The Australian Raw Feeding Community” f/b group, is really good & help starters.
    Also look at buying & adding tin sardines in spring water or Olive Oil to diet as Sardines have Vitamins, Minerals, Omega fatty oils, Calcium etc add 2 spoons sardines a day to 1 of their meals to help balance their raw diet…

*Nutrition Facts
    Sardine, Atlantic, canned in oil
    Amount Per 100 grams

Calories 208

Total Fat 11 g-16%
    Saturated fat 1.5 g-7%
    Polyunsaturated fat 5 g
    Monounsaturated fat 3.9 g
    Cholesterol 142 mg-47%
    Sodium 505 mg-21%
    Potassium 397 mg-11%
    Total Carbohydrate 0 g-0%
    Dietary fiber 0 g-0%
    Sugar 0 g
    Protein 25 g-50%
    Vitamin A-2%
    Vitamin C-0%
    Calcium-38%
    Iron-16%
    Vitamin D-48%
    Vitamin B-6-10%
    Vitamin B-12-148%
    Magnesium-9%

Just make sure you check the salt % & get the lowest salt% can of Sardines in spring water or olive Oil cans.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.