šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Olayemi P

Hi all,
    I have a three year old Pomeranian, a pretty big guy at about 17lbs (no overweight just larger than the average Pom) I changed his food about a year or more ago to Evo dry when he appeared to have a skin condition where he was chewing on his paws etc. The results were almost immediate which was great! His poops have become much looser though, even if I feed him a little at a time and I’m concluding that the Evo is just too rich for him. What other choices do I have? I can’t keep wiping my dog’s fuzzy backside off, it’s driving me nuts!!! ;O)

#64110 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Over the last five years, I’ve used Amicus, Back to Basics, Perfect Balance Grain Free, Nutrisource grain free, and Pro Pac grain free. I haven’t had any soft stools on these from my foster dogs. Since your boy is small, you might consider adding some real bone to his diet and reducing his kibble some. I’ve found that adding a Raw Meaty Bone 2 or 3 times a week firms up stools. Even something as small as a chicken neck or wing. He can even have a meal out of a drumstick. Another option is to feed a premade raw nugget like Primal nuggets or Primal Pronto and Nature’s Variety Instinct has a small nugget formula. These raw foods have include ground bone and you can just give him one 1 oz nugget with his kibble meal or a couple pieces of the small nuggets.

#64164 Report Abuse
    Olayemi P

Oh interesting, thank you! Now when you say “Raw Meaty Bone” do you mean exactly that? I am absolutely clueless about raw foods but I feel certain that this pooch would love to indulge once in a while. Thank you for these suggestions, I’ll go off now and do some research…

#64186 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Yes, Raw Meaty Bone (RMB) is actually raw meat and bones. My personal dogs are raw fed (ground to whole prey) and eat dehydrated foods and my fosters eat kibble, canned and dehydrated foods. I’ve used Amicus, Back to Basics, and currently use Muenster Grain Free and Pro Pac Ultimates Grain Free and Nutrisouce Grain Free regularly and all the dogs’ stools have been solid, even with the addition of canned foods. How much are you feeding of EVO BTW? Also, you might find a Rotational Diet beneficial. My dogs always have solid stool no matter what I’m feeding since I change regularly.

http://urbanpawsmagazine.com/archives/59

For a dry, shelf stable dehydrated raw product, check out Stella and Chewy’s, Primal, Nature’s Variety, and Vital Essentials.

Here’s the raw feeding pictures topic:

/forums/topic/pictures-of-dogs-eating-raw-raw-meals/

#64254 Report Abuse
    Olayemi P

This has been really beneficial, thank you! I usually feed Yoshi a half cup of Evo per day. I’ve experimented with it but pretty much ended up with whatever was on the package. I went to the store today and came back with a couple of starter pack raw nuggets — one of the ones you suggested and another they had there which I forget the name of. Yoshi was interested immediately and wanted it as soon as I tried to open the bag. Once it had thawed he was happy to eat some mixed with his kibble. I’m hoping it makes a positive difference because I could be a convert…I appreciate your help!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.