šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    carey D
    Participant

I have a 3 year old male pointer. He was severely starved before I got him. He should be 25kg, he was 14kg. He has a really sensitive digestion. I tried lots of commercial feeds, he couldn’t stomach them at all and kept losing weight, constant diarrhoea. I switched to homemade cooked food and he thrived and got up to 23kg. Last November unfortunately he had a surgery and had about half his intestines removed. When I collected him from the hospital it was night-time and the discharge was pretty basic with limited feeding info – avoid legumes was really about it. They fed him Royal Canin gastro-intestinal wet food in the hospital so I bought that to be consistent. I discussed with my own vet but she was very relaxed about it saying just try him on whatever but I’m far too scared to do that. So he’s been on the Royal Canin for about 7 weeks. After his op he was down to 18kg and he’s really not gaining even though I am feeding him the absolute most I can. He’s starving all the time. I feel like he’s not doing great on it and would rather feed him homemade food as that’s what worked for him before but I’m unsure of what to feed and what to avoid now he only has half his intestines. The last few days I have been putting a spoon of well cooked white rice in his meals. What else can I feed him? I really think the ready made dog food just doesn’t agree with him at all but I also don’t know how to cook a balanced intestine friendly diet

#185808 Report Abuse
    Ana W
    Participant

After having half of his intestines removed, it’s important to be mindful of the types of foods you’re giving him in order to support his recovery and help him maintain a healthy weight.

One thing you can try is to work with a veterinary nutritionist who can help you create a diet plan that is tailored to your dog’s specific needs. They will be able to take into account the fact that your dog has had a surgical procedure and recommend a diet that is easy to digest, low in fiber and high in protein.

It may be helpful to include more easily digestible protein sources such as boiled chicken, fish, or eggs. Additionally, you can try adding small amounts of well-cooked white rice, which can help to bind the stools and provide a source of energy. You can also try adding small amounts of boiled sweet potatoes or white potatoes as a source of carbohydrates.

It is also important to avoid high-fiber foods such as legumes, raw fruits and vegetables, and grains. Also, be sure to avoid fatty foods and table scraps, as they can be difficult to digest and can cause diarrhea.

It’s important to note that you should introduce new foods slowly, to give your dog’s body time to adjust. Also, you should monitor his stools for any changes, and adjust his diet accordingly.

It’s also important to keep in mind that the recovery process after such surgery can take time and it’s important to be patient and consistent in providing the right diet and not to make sudden changes.

It’s also a good idea to keep in close contact with your vet during this time to make sure your dog is on the right track and to adjust his diet as needed.

#185953 Report Abuse
    s R
    Participant

Please do NOT feed him homemadeā€” he is doing too poorly for you to revert to that idea, or others. Instead go the expert route. See below, best option listed 1st.

1. If (like here in America), you have vet schools that give advice to dog owners, make that your 1st choice. Or call one cold. In either case, ask for a referral if they canā€™t see you immediately.
    2. Choose a practice with more than one vet. Likely will have seen more cases and two heads are better than one. And if that doesnā€™t pan outā€¦
    3. Take him to a different vet than the one youā€™ve been using. ā€˜Feed him whateverā€™ is not what you or he needs now. If you canā€™t get him seen immediately, go to an emergency vet clinic.
    Take a fresh sample of his stools if possible! or hey, take a cell phone photo.
    Iā€™d be worried. You probably are too. Take a a couple breaths, plan out what youā€™re going to say before you pick up the phone. Hugs to your boy.

#185955 Report Abuse
    s R
    Participant

Whoops my reply was meant for AnaW.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by s R.
    #187205 Report Abuse
    Dog H
    Participant

As PetsPaa, I understand your concerns about your 3-year-old male pointer’s sensitive digestion and history of severe starvation. It’s important to consider his unique dietary needs, especially after undergoing surgery to remove half of his intestines.

Given that commercial feeds have not worked well for him in the past, and considering his history of success with homemade cooked food, it may be worth considering a homemade diet again. However, it’s crucial to ensure that his diet is balanced and intestine-friendly to support his health and well-being.

Here are some general guidelines for feeding a homemade diet for your dog with reduced intestinal capacity:

High-quality protein: Choose easily digestible sources of protein such as boiled lean meats (e.g., chicken, turkey, or beef), eggs, and cottage cheese. These provide essential amino acids for muscle health and tissue repair.

Low-fiber carbohydrates: Opt for easily digestible carbohydrates such as well-cooked white rice, boiled potatoes, or pasta. Avoid high-fiber foods like legumes, as they can be difficult to digest and may cause gastrointestinal issues.

Healthy fats: Include a source of healthy fats in the diet, such as cooked and cooled boiled eggs, fish oil, or olive oil, to provide energy and support nutrient absorption.

Vitamins and minerals: Add a vitamin and mineral supplement or a complete and balanced canine multivitamin to ensure your dog gets all the necessary nutrients.

Avoidance of harmful ingredients: Avoid feeding your dog foods that are toxic to dogs, such as chocolate, onions, garlic, grapes, and raisins, as they can cause severe health issues.

Feeding schedule: Consider dividing your dog’s meals into smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day to ease the workload on his reduced intestine.

Monitoring and consultation: Regularly monitor your Dog Health Care
    viz. weight, body condition, and overall health, and consult with your veterinarian for ongoing guidance and adjustments to the diet as needed.

It’s important to work closely with your veterinarian or a veterinary nutritionist to create a balanced and intestine-friendly homemade diet that meets your dog’s specific needs. They can help you determine the right amounts of protein, carbohydrates, and fats for your dog’s condition and monitor his progress over time.

Remember, it’s crucial to introduce any dietary changes slowly to allow your dog’s digestive system to adjust, and to closely monitor his response to the new diet. If you notice any signs of digestive upset, weight loss, or other health concerns, consult with your veterinarian promptly for further evaluation and guidance.

#187890 Report Abuse
    Rielle P
    Participant

To find a balanced and intestine-friendly diet for your 3-year-old pointer with sensitive digestion, consult a veterinary nutritionist who can provide specialized guidance based on your dog’s specific condition and nutritional requirements. Limited-ingredient diets can be helpful for dogs with sensitive digestion, as they contain a single source of protein and carbohydrates. Fish oil https://strydevet.com/pages/dosage-calculator, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, can support skin, coat, and gastrointestinal health. However, discussing the appropriate dosage and brand with your veterinarian is important to ensure it aligns with your dog’s specific needs. Cooked homemade meals should be balanced and meet your dog’s nutritional requirements.

A veterinary nutritionist can help create a homemade diet plan that includes easily digestible proteins, carbohydrates, and essential nutrients. Transitioning to a new diet should be done gradually to avoid upset digestion. Monitor your dog’s response to dietary changes and consult your veterinarian if you observe any adverse reactions or concerns. Working closely with a veterinary nutritionist and your veterinarian can develop a diet plan that promotes your dog’s overall well-being and addresses his specific dietary needs.

#191089 Report Abuse
    Pet Foods C
    Participant

The best dog food for weight loss is a formula with high protein, low fat, and fiber-rich ingredients. Brands like Blue Buffalo Life Protection Healthy Weight and Wellness CORE Reduced Fat are top choices. https://www.petfoodscare.com/best-dog-food-for-weight-loss/

Choosing the right dog food for weight management is crucial for the health and longevity of your pet. Dogs, like humans, require a balanced diet to lose weight safely and effectively. A high-quality weight loss dog food not only helps with reducing and maintaining a healthy weight but also ensures that your pet gets all the necessary nutrients for overall health.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.