🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robbie M

Hello all I’m a first time poster so my apologies if this is the incorrect spot to put this. But I was hoping someone here with the required knowledge to adequately review the ingredients of my dogs food would be able to do so. The brand is Canadian Naturals (Canadian Supreme Dog Food is the parents company) and it’s made locally in the Fraser Valley area of B.C. I’ve noticed it has some options that have more ingredients that would be considered healthy but my dog really likes this kind and he doesn’t adjust the best to food so we keep it steady. Here are said ingredients.

Dog Lamb & Rice Formula

3324 kcal/kg
    Lamb meal, peas, pearled barley, oat groats, brown rice, flaxseed, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), natural flavour, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, taurine, zinc sulphate, ferrous sulphate, vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, copper sulphate, manganous oxide, vitamin A supplement, copper proteinate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, calcium iodate, folic acid, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement, rosemary extract

Thanks to anyone who is able to take their time looking this over and letting me know the quality.

#146229 Report Abuse
    anonymous

There are no veterinary nutritionists affiliated with this site. Therefore all you will get is opinions.
    That being said, I do not like that peas are ingredient #2.
    Since the DCM alert, veterinarians are advising pet owners to avoid legumes, peas, potatoes (at least not have them in the first 10 ingredients) https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/news-events/fda-investigation-potential-link-between-certain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy
    Also recommended is to avoid grain-free.

However, if your dog is doing well on this food, I would confer with your vet as to whether you should make a change or not.

#146236 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

It’s nothing but grains and veggies. Dogs are mesocarnivores. Try to find a meat based food and add canned or fresh foods into his diet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.