The kittens I rescued behind the Subway have been at my vets for10 weeks. My vet just called me and said one was real sick and she has the antibody for feline leukemia. He tested the mom and she has it. He said to know for sure he would need to retest in 6 weeks or he could put them to sleep because he can’t keep them. I can bring them home and retest them in 6 weeks. He has spayed the mom and I can bring her home. I don’t know what to do. I am not a cat person but I want to do the right thing. Will my mom cat just get sicker and it will just be a matter of time. I don’t want to expose my other cat at home. All my cats are outside. Please help me I don’t know what to do and I have to decide today. I’m in tears as I write this. If they have a chance I don’t want to euthanize them but the runt has already died and he’s treating another one that’s real sick. What do I do, especially with mama cat?
Some cats live long lives despite being felv positive. Some fight off the antibody and come up negative six weeks to 6 months later. I adopted a felv positive cat and had my vet run a different test that is sent out. S he was negative. What concerns me more is that the cat wasnt tested before spaying and before he had you invest so much $$ into their care. However felv positive cats can infect other cats and should be indoors away from healthy cats. I dont envy you this decision and adoptive homes for positive cats are few and far between.
🙁 I’m sorry you have to make this decision. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I’m sure you will make the right choice. Hopefully you’ve had someone to talk to…
Oh, boy. I’m crying with you. I support your decision whichever way you go! Those kittens were lucky to have found you and your vet.
I have no where to keep the kittens to wait for 6 weeks. What about the spayed mama cat. Should she be eutananized or can I brink her home? She will be in the hot outside. My vet was keeping the mama and kittens free. He just cannot keep them any longer. He will have to euthanize them if I can’t take them home. Oh please help me. BC nut and HDM what do u think since u’ve seen so much working with vets? Can someone help me get this message to them.
Find one of their posts on the review side and reply to it with a link to this thread. That’s what I always do…
Do you have a shed or a garage that you could keep them in? Or, is there a rescue group in your area that could take them in?
Maybe start a thread on the off topic area of the review side where someone else might come up with some ideas for you? I agree, Patty or HDM would be a great resource right now! You definitely could try to find one of their posts and reply to it. I haven’t had a cat with feline leukemia that I know of so far. I don’t know much about it. I’m sorry you are in this situation. I really feel for you.
Just got back from the vets. One of the kittens has pneumonia. The mama cat has the real dangerous kind of leukemia(whatever that means)I would have to keep her inside and isolated from my other cat. My vet,who is an animal lover gets on the floor with them, etc.He said every stray he gets he checks them for leukemia but mama was so healthy and he forgot she was a rescue and not my cat because he knows I take good care of my babies. He said it was a mistake he made. Gotta love a vet who admits his screw ups. It’s so bad for the prep techs who have been taking care of them. They were crying and so upset. I told him I had no way to isolate them and I left it up to him. I’m pretty sure he will euthanize them. I’m so upset I’ve been throwing up and crying all day. Crazy for cats we have a rescue group but they can’t take them one fm has40 another one has 28 and the 3rd on has 18. So many kittens this season. I still have 3 kittens at Subway. I’ve found homes for 9.our rescue group is mainly into dogs. No help for kitties.oh well I tried. Please pray for me!
So sorry you are going through this with the kitties. You are in a tough position. Just a thought, do you have a basement, or garage that you can keep them in until you can find them a home or a rescue group to take them in? Maybe a friend or relative has a basement/garage to keep them in for awhile? Just a thought. Sorry you’re in such a tough spot. 🙁
Oh, I’m praying, Weezerweeks, with tear filled eyes also. Thank you for giving it your best. Your vet is amazing! It’s so frustrating how irresponsible people are with their pets. Especially cats. Take care.
I am so sorry Weezerweeks. Its never easy but in rescue the hardest thing to learn is that you can not save them all. Feline leukemia is feline leukemia-there is only one type. There are two types of FIP-wet and dry. When I adopted my supposed felv positive cat, I had no other cats and it was a non issue. As a responsible pet owner I would never take something in to my house that would compromise the health and longevity of my own pets-no matter what, they come first. I am sorry it came to this, but know that I for one think you did your best, given the circumstances, and while sad, there should be no guilt. Hugs-
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.