šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Amy S

My vet diagnosed our 11yr Wheaten with beginning stages of kidney disease. She said, at this point he doesn’t need meds and said a new dry food with low protein would work fine. She suggested Royal Canine. I think it’s a prescription food. My dog was eating Acana dry and loved it. I looked at Neo but it wasn’t rated very well. Recalls and foods “made” in China concern me. Can anyone recommend a dry food for me? Prefer something I can get without a script but will consider something that does. I just want a good food. Pricing is not really a concern because I’ll be willing to give my pet the best.

#95191 Report Abuse
    Alexander A

My 8yr old Jack Russell terrier was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease in December. He’d been having intermittent diarrhea/loose stools for 10 months and was prescribed three different antibiotics during that time. His condition, just from the frequent & loose stools, deteriorated over the summer to such an extent that I considered having him euthanized. When he started urinating blood, I took him to a different Vet who made the diagnosis and put him on Science Diet k/d canned food, which was too expensive to be permanent.

He improved on that food, though, and I started cooking for him using Dr. Pitcarin’s Complete Guide To Natural Health For Dogs & Cats. He has some good recipes in there but only two or three for kidney disease. He was urinating less (he was going copiously & frequently) on the combination of canned/home made, but he was rail thin and nothing we could do kept weight on him. His stools were less frequent but still very soft.

When we ran out of the prescription food, I asked the Vet if we could substitute for one of Science Diet’s OTC low protein formulas. He told me there was no need and recommended Pedigree Lamb & Rice instead.

So we started him on Pedigree very slowly, mixing a handful of kibble with rice and boiled liver on Saturday morning about a month ago.

I am sorry for rambling on like this, but the difference was just unbelievable from that first bowl. When I walked him later on, he was frolicking in the snow, jumping over snowdrifts, and being happy to be outside. His personality was back full force; rolling on the couch, showing interest in toys, and that night, after two small meals of the Pedigree, he had his first normal bowel movement in a year.

A month later, and his last blood test showed SIGNIFICANT improvements in his BUN and blood creatinine levels. He has gained enough weight that he has “substance” again, not just a rack of bones with a bit of fat on them. He has muscle mass and energy. His potassium levels are normal. He had been chronically dehydrated before, even to an extent on the canned k/d.

So, yeah. This is my very long winded way of saying if you are looking for a low protein, fat, and moderately low phosphorous food, IMHO, Pedigree is a VERY good option.

#95202 Report Abuse
    HoundMusic
    Participant

@ Alexander A

How frequently does this dog “go” on Pedigree? I have a male with prostate issues and something else going on with his kidneys (he urinates blood as well, antibiotics are like giving him water) that has somehow morphed into chronic colitis :/ His main problem is pooping 200 times a day (all right, only 20-25) and we have been searching high and low for food he can actually digest.

#95237 Report Abuse
    Alexander A

He goes once daily, very hard and small. He was drinking copiously & urinating up a storm, and that’s stopped too.

#96748 Report Abuse
    Amy S

On further research, I’m now looking at either Honest Kitchen Preference or Dr Harvey’s Canine Health for my dog’s PLN. Has anyone had experience with either in relation to a lower protein diet? thx!

#96780 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

THK Preference is a base mix. You need to add the meat protein to it.

#96781 Report Abuse
    Amy S

Yes, I know Honest Kitchen is a mix and you add protein to it. I just wanted to know if anyone had any comments about it.

#96782 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Ok, just making sure. I know a couple of people who didn’t know!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.