Need a new food for dog with multiple allergies

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Need a new food for dog with multiple allergies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Angela S

I have an elderly Dane who has allergies to several ingredients: chicken, lamb, salmon, pea, corn, wheat, rice… Yep, pretty much every ingredient in dog foods.

She’s been on the Natural Balance LID Kangaroo and Potato formula, which is the only one I’ve found without any of these ingredients. However, it looks like they are discontinuing this food.

Any thoughts on another food out there that will meet her needs? Or am I going to have to make it as I go?

#84870 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

California Natural makes a kangaroo food; you will have to look at the ingredients.
    There are foods that have beef, turkey, duck, goat, bison 7 other novel proteins.
    You could feed raw where you have lot of other proteins but it will probably be more costly.

#84875 Report Abuse
    Freddy w

It’s expensive but you can try any of these

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=Acana&nav-submit-button=Submit

#84882 Report Abuse
    Angela S

Thank InkedMarie and Freddy W… I checked the ingredients on these and there are things she is allergic to… So frustrating! May have to go with raw… I know it will be expensive, but I’m already spending a lot on what I’ve been feeding her (close to $70/bag).

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!!!

#84883 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

What about another variety within Natural Balance, like the Rabbit and Potato?

#84884 Report Abuse
    Cheri A

I got my dog last year and changed his diet to “good” food. I noticed he would get very bad rashes until I found American Natural Sensitive. No Rashes. I tried the original thinking maybe his Rash was environmental and the rashes came back. I’m going back to the sensitive and I hope it works. My heart breaks cause I can’t even pet him because of the reaction to the rash.

#84923 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, have a look at “Brothers Complete” their kibbles are egg based & they have a Venison & Egg & Turkey & Egg kibbles even if there’s 1 ingredient in a kibble like peas still give it a go, email the company to make sure their kibbles or wet tin foods are guaranteed they normally are & see if they will refund your money if anything were to happen like sloppy poos, itchy skin etc …..
    I thought Patch was getting bad wind pains & bad farts from peas, so I was avoiding kibbles with peas & most grain free kibbles have peas anyway I saw a kibble that looked really good & the peas were the 5th or 6th ingredient & I thought look we’ll give it a go & I couldn’t believe it Patch had no wind pain or any bad farts also I was avoiding potatoes the year before cause a vet prescription diet we tried gave Patch real bad diarrhea it was just Fish & Potatoes even vet believed Patch couldn’t eat any kibbles with potatoes…… I ended up cooking some boiled potatoes & added about 1 spoon to his meals & he was OK then I added 2 spoons of the potato & he was still doing firm poos, so always re check ingredients even Dr Jean Dobbs recommends to have the Salvia testing done yearly cause something they couldn’t eat 1-2 yrs ago they can eat now & they are probably sensitive to something new… Here’s the Brothers Complete link it may not work you may have to google it http://www.****************.com/cart.html

#84958 Report Abuse
    Angela S

Thank so much everyone for the responses! Any other ideas are welcome! 🙂

#84959 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Just curious, what test indicated she had all these “food allergies”?
    Oh, and food sensitivities fluctuate.

Has the dog had a senior workup? There very well could be other reasons for symptoms (although you never described any) have you ruled out medical, via lab work and a good physical exam by a veterinarian?

“Food Allergies are probably over-diagnosed in dogs (they account for, perhaps 5-10%). Hypoallergenic diets are occasionally, but not frequently, helpful in canine atopy cases but you should always give them a try. Food intolerances are more common – but considerably more likely to result in digestive disturbances and diarrhea that in itching problems”.
    http://www.2ndchance.info/Apoquel.htm

Check the search engine here for allergies: /forums/search/allergies/

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=allergies You may find some helpful information at this site.

#84961 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Oops! Error/delete, I posted in the wrong thread.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.