🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dana G

I’m happy to have found this forum because I have a big challenge I could use some help with. I have a 9 yr. old Havanese who recently had a Calcium Oxalate stone removed. She also has Gallbladder Sludge and must have a very low fat diet. The challenge is finding a low oxalate food that is also very low in fat. The vet wants to put her on Royal Canin Urinary SO Moderate Calorie Dry. It meets the criteria BUT it contains a lot of corn which my dog doesn’t tolerate.

So I’ve been on an exhaustive search for a commercial food that can work for her. The only possibility I’ve found is Earthborn Holistic Weight Control. It is low enough in fat, but the issue is whether it is low enough in oxalate. The concern is the fifth ingredient, Tomato Pomace, which is high oxalate. I called Earthborn to find out what percentage of the total ingredients tomato pomace is. The gentleman said he thought 5% but to be sure, he would ask the nutritionist to call me. After waiting a week I called again only to be told the man I spoke with had just retired, and no one knew anything about them having a nutritionist. The customer service rep said there was only one person who MIGHT be able to help me so I left a message for him. It’s been a week and no call. Since their website claims to be endorsed by Dog Food Advisor, I’m hoping someone on this forum knows something about this company. So my first question is, any ideas on how to get ingredient/nutrient info from Earthborn?

Second question — The only ingredient in this food with significant oxalate content is the tomato pomace. If I assume that the pomace is in fact 5% of total ingredients, does that make this food low oxalate? I’m just not sure if a small % of a very high oxalate ingredient equals a low oxalate food.

I know this is some pretty specific info I’m looking for so I will appreciate any thoughts/advice I receive. I’m out of ideas. If I can’t make this food work, I’ll have to do home cooked.

Thanks.

#77171 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Did you check the search engine? Lots of information here. However, I don’t necessarily agree with all of the opinions expressed. /forums/search/bladder+stones/
    I have shared my experience, my dog had both types of stones, emergency surgery and follow up. I have posted what has been helpful. Please return if you have any more questions.

#77176 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Dana, I also tried to contact Earthborn Holistic & never received any response either, so I went on Earth Born Holistic Face Book page & asked my question there, one thing about the Earth Born weight control the fiber is very high at 9%…… have you thought of contacting a nutritionist & have a diet made up.. kibble isn’t really good.. join this face Book group “Canine Nutrition and Natural Heath” run by Cat Lane https://www.facebook.com/groups/756709917722083/?notif_t=group_r2j_approved

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.