šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Howard C

I have been feeding my 2 Goldens’ Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost for a long while. It is a very expensive food but the results, in my opinion, made it justifiable. However, for the last couple of months I have noticed that the bags contain a smaller amount of the raw boost pieces and both dogs’ stools have changed. They have become softer—almost runny at times.
    It was never like this before. Has anyone else had the same experience with Natures Variety Instinct?

#55219 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They have reformulated some of their foods to contain less protein. I don’t know if the Raw Boost formulas have been reformulated or not.

#55220 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Yes, the formulas have changed.

Take a look at their website: http://www.instinctpetfood.com/instinct-raw-boost-healthy-foods-pets

When you click on the ingredients tab, you can see the current ingredients and the former recipe.

#55227 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Some of those were quite big changes!!

#55228 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Yep, and not for the better. I’ll continue to use the NVI LID though since I’ve had such great results with Sam. I’m super disappointed with the lamb LID though and won’t use our recommend it. Disappointing.

#55229 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

22% protein? Surely lamb isn’t more expensive than rabbit?!?

#55243 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Bruno got sick on the NVI Rabbit, but he’s never had the old formula, whatever that is. Vomiting and diarrhea, I tried him on it twice – first time it could have been something else that caused his illness, the second time was fully controlled and I attribute it entirely to the food. Alas, I really hoped it would work for him. Oh well, I will try another protein in the future and see how he does. For now he’s on a food he’s done well on in the past.

I guess, to the OP – Howard C – try to add The Honest Kitchen’s Perfect Form as a supplement for about a week – stool should improve – and keep your dogs on it for about 2 more weeks after stool is good. If it is unstable again when you take them off of Perfect Form, then it may be time for a food switch…

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Naturella.
    #55269 Report Abuse
    Howard C

Thanks to all for the feedback. My next question would be does anyone have any experience, either good or bad, with Orijen products?

#55270 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve only used the new Orijen treats which my pugs love, but pugs don’t snub any kind of food or treat 99% of the time. Mine already eat raw and they eat different forms of food so they are used to food/treat changes.

#55279 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

2 of mine did well on orijen, 1 did not. He has had issues on other rich things as well though. I know plenty of people that love it.

I kind of like their treats, the dogs love them. They do get a bit crumbly which can be irritating

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.