🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Marie

After stopping in Petco for the first time, it was really overwhelming. People pressuring you, toys all over the place, beds of all shapes, colors and sizes, all different types of dog food and all sorts of animals and other supplies. The person who came up to me talked me into buying a brand called Natural Balance. Wide variety, all size bags, wet food to match and treats to match as well. Anybody have any suggestions? Has anyone else tried this food before?

#44743 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Marie –

Here are the reviews and articles about Natural Balance. You can look at the ratings and scroll through the other posters’ comments about the company and its products.

#44753 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Natural balance is a good tool for figuring out food intolerances and allergies, but it isn’t a food I would want to feed every day.

#44756 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I used to love Natural Balance for my gang. I had one with intolerances/allergies and digestive issues and this food helped at that time. I also loved that they had canned and treats to “match”, making it easier to feed an intolerance prone dog. Sadly though, they have since sold to Del Monte and that makes them a no go for me anymore. If I had to use them to sort out an allergy I might….but I would search for other ways to do it first. It’s really frustrating when a food you like and trusted sells out to a large conglomerate. If I had to shop at Petco, I would use Wellness or Nature’s Variety.

#44779 Report Abuse
    Marie

The person who came up to me also showed me another brand called Nutro. Is that a good brand? What’s with the different Nutro bags?

#44782 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Nutro is ok. Many of the recipes rank at 4 and 5 stars, but you have to be careful because even in the same “lines” there are some pretty crappy ones. Nutro Ultra looks good, as do most of the Natural Choice, and the Wholesome Essentials Puppy. Nutro Max is just….. Nooo. Just no.

/?s=Nutro

If I remember correctly, Del Monte owns them, as well.

#44871 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Pet Co & Pet Smart aren’t where I’d go to look at dog food. Research online, if you decide to buy a food that’s carried there, great. IMO workers there don’t know very much.

#44883 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I agree. The only time I ask for advice about dog food at the store is when a rep is there. And then it’s mostly just to hear their spiel about how great they think their brand is. The only rep I’ve even actually had be helpful was the Natures Variety rep. He didn’t push the products, just helped me out with picking the one I needed, and gave me a coupon 🙂 we even talked about other brands and dog food in general.

#44897 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I used to be the food “expert” at a small specialty pet food store I worked at part time. They have since sold to Petco (a few years ago). At times, there would be customers asking for me because I knew quite a lot about each food they carried. Now, when I happen to go into Petco, they all know me and leave me alone. Actually had one of the associates ask me something about Blue Buffalo the other day, lol! When I go into Petsmart, on a rare occasion, to look around or get some Wellness or Simply Nourish cans it bugs me when an associate comes up to me asking if they can help me or when they try to direct me to Blue Buffalo. I just smile and tell them that I’m fine and don’t need help, lol. Sometimes I’m tempted to “educate” them about Blue, but usually I just go on my way. And, btw, I used to be a rep for Nature’s Variety! However, when Petco bought out the stores I frequented I left the company.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics