🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kateagray
    Participant

my senior dog has protein in her urine, protein/creatanine ratio came back at .4 and the and the test range said >.5 so the vet said it was ok, bloodwork looked fine but high triglycerides. (she had just eaten prior to the bloodwork so I’m not sure that matters) the lab result came back to suggest to also test for thyroid levels as hers was .7 and it should be between .8 and 3.5 but the vet did not suggest any testing on that. Hmm, I’m wondering why now. Vet says stay on low protein diet (currently 18%) took to a different Vet and he said that protein does not matter. Does it? She has gallstones and 2 occurrences of pancreatitis in 2006 and 2009. she has allergies too and I really just want to try to keep her comfortable the last few years of her life – don’t want to rock the boat and make her ill by switching dog food but she is on a prescription purina ha (hypoallergenic) diet and the reviews on here are horrible.

#21487 Report Abuse
    laney.delaney
    Participant

This site was really detailed and helpful for calculating phosphorus levels, which contributes to kidney problems, while also asserting that high protein is GOOD for a senior dog, as many on this site have also said: http://raingoddess.com/dogfood/phos.html

Unfortunately, the brands listed with low phosphorous also have low protein and are considered by many to be sub-standard foods. I hope one of the experts on this site can give a good rundown on how to feed your senior dog well but also keep their special needs in mind.

#21531 Report Abuse
    kateagray
    Participant

Thanks! I finally decided to go with Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance. It’s very low in phosphorus and is low fat which is good. It’s sort of high protein wise what she was on before (the old stuff was 18% while this is 34% so I’m hoping that’s ok. Thanks Again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.