šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Karolina D

My Cane Corso/ Boxer is a 100 lb female that I adopted from a shelter at 1.5 months old. In Canada, it is a MUST to have a dog spayed as soon as they come to the shelter, regardless of age. Angel was spayed at less than 2 months old. . it makes me really sad.. she came home with a scar on her belly.
    So overall her attitude is extremely shy and quiet.. she is now 2 years old and extremely lazy. She has a burst of energy sometimes during play time with the poodle.. but overall shes pretty calm.
    This week I have noticed limping as soon as she got up.
    I took her to the vet we checked for lyme disease, heart worm, all these different things that could cause joint issues. We could not pinpoint the issue because she is such a calm dog that she never yelps or shows any sign of discomfort in ANY situation.
    She is now on a medication for 5 days that act as an inflammatory.
    I really dont know how this happen.. she is 2 years old on Acana Chicken and Cobbs Green Chicken, and I want her switched.
    I would like everyones opinion on what I should be feeding a dog like that.. a dog that is 100 pounds (I would like her down to 95), with low energy.. I am scared to run with her because i dont want her hurting herself again! Her joints are not happy.

She also gets glucosamine.

THANKS EVERYONE!

#89416 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Swimming is easy on the joints and burns calories, even 3X a week might make a big difference.
    Have you asked your vet about rehabilitation therapy, such as: “aquatic therapy in a heated pool and underwater treadmill, therapeutic laser, massage and mobility therapy and therapeutic exercise. Similar to human rehabilitation, our services include a complete medical evaluation specifically tailored to your pet’s condition, including home care instructions and education”. (excerpt copied from the site of a local vet)

#89461 Report Abuse
    anonymously

“Swimming is not only fun for your dogā€¦but it also does great things for him. The resistance of water makes your dog work harder to swim than he has to work on land to walk or run. He will show improved muscular strength and tone, while working the cardio-vascular and respiratory systems, without the impact of concussive exercise on land and the associated damage that it may cause”.

“It may surprise you to know that for a dog, 1 minutesā€™ swimming is equivalent to about 4 minutes of running, according to Dr Arleigh Reynolds, a Veterinary Surgeon and Canine Physiologist”. (excerpt from:) http://vividlife.me/ultimate/1142/the-benefits-of-swimming-for-your-dog/

I took my own advice and took my terrier to the local lake today (No Dogs Allowed)
    No one is around early in the morning, anyway he did quite well, jumped right in to retrieve his favorite ball and started swimming to get to it. Eventually we lost the ball. We were only there 15 minutes and he seemed energized, so we will try that again. He is showing some signs of mild arthritis and I want to do what ever I can to prevent it from becoming chronic. I will also ask my vet about aqua therapy (swimming in a pool) not sure I can afford it…but will check it out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.