šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jude B
    Participant

I have a 9 year old miniature poodle that the vets says she needs to lose a few pounds. I would love recommendations on what to feed her. She loves to eat. I have been feeding her Artisan dry food with some homemade meatloaf (recipe okayed by vet) or ground turkey with rice and green beans. I donā€™t give her large portions so I donā€™t know why sheā€™s so chubby. Her sister gets the same thing, one year older, but she is a perfect weight. I hate to admit they get very little exercise, walks every other day. Would really appreciate suggestions on what to feed my little overweight Isabella.
    Thank you!

#111731 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

First,, just like people, all dogs are different. Good weight loss foods are Annamaet Lean and Wellness Core reduced fat. I dont know whats in the meatloaf but stop giving it to this dog. Same with the turkey and rice. Getting the weight off is more important. She may love to eat but the humans are the ones that feed her. The green beans are fine.

#111741 Report Abuse
    Jude B
    Participant

Thank you for responding. I am ordering the Annamaet today.
    I always thought cooking for my pets was so much better for them. I do a lot of research to find healthy recipes. The dry food I feed them is Ancestry (not artisan) a 5 star. I mix that in with the turkey or meatloaf when I feed them. My Isabella just needs to lose a couple pounds. I call her chubby but she is not obese.
    I am going to use the homemade as a topper and use more of the low fat dry food for Isabella. Thank you again!
    Jude

#111778 Report Abuse
    a c

I think you will like Annamaet Lean. I gave that to my miniature schnauzers who had pancreatitis history. Itā€™s a good idea to add a little fresh vegetable and meat/fish as a topper. I also add a little warm water to the kibbles to create some ā€œ gravy likeā€ meal.

#114017 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I’ve had my dog on Annamaet Lean for several 4 lb. bags and he has only gained weight, not lost. I am going back to the Wellness Core Low Fat since he at least stayed at 20 lbs and didn’t go up to 21 as with Annamaet. I can’t seem to get him back down to 19 lbs no matter what I feed him. It’s probably my problem not his because he begs every time he sees me eat. His treats are all low fat low calorie but it’s very easy to hand out an over abundance of that kind.

#114036 Report Abuse
    Jude B
    Participant

Kathleen, Iā€™ve had the same experience. Iā€™ve changed to Honest Kitchen. Great reviews, and they love it. I got the basic and add the protein. Check it out.
    Jude

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.