Multiple foods

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Multiple foods

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Crystal J

Hi, I have been browsing this forum and site for some time now and I love all the information it contains. I had an issue with a picky dog that was pretty thin when we adopted him about a year ago. He would not eat, I tried to put his bowl down and pick it up after 15 minutes and he wouldn’t eat for days. Finally I found that he likes different tastes and textures, funny little guy.

I currently feed him:
    breakfast:
    2 scoops Ziwipeak airdried, currently lamb and
    1/4 can Ziwipeak canned, I rotate through flavors

Dinner:
    1/2 cup Honest Kitchen, currently Love with the appropriate amount of water and
    1/2 cup Orijen kibble, currently Adult formula

This seems the only way that he will eat consistently. He is now happy to eat, which makes me happy. Also, he seems really healthy, very shinny coat, bright eyes, full of positive energy, good poops. His vet says he is healthy.

Do you think that it is OK to feed all these different foods in a day?

Also, I am going to rotate to ziwipeak airdried venison and fish soon. I rotate the honest kitchen using love and embark. I rotate through Orijen adult, 6 fish, and regional red.

#55303 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Dogs, like people, do best eating a variety of foods. We call this rotational feeding. Do a search here or on the review side to learn more about the benefits of rotational feeding.

It cured my picky dog too. Most of the regulars here feed a rotational diet of some kind.

#55315 Report Abuse
    Dori

I am one of the regulars that feeds a rotational diet. The more quality foods that you can incorporate in your dogs diet the better they will be for it. None of us would eat the same food day in day out ourselves, not a healthy diet. Canines, like us, need variety. I feed many different brands and many different proteins within each brand. I rotate brands and proteins with each meal my three girls eat. I feed twice a day. I also rotate supplements and treats. The treats I feed for the most part are organic fresh fruits and veggies. No store bought treats. Too many recalls for my liking.

#55333 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Sounds like your boy has quite the good diet so far, Crystal! 🙂 Don’t be afraid to try new recipes (brands) and new flavors within a brand. Plus, adding canned or THK is great for them – adds moisture to a usually dry diet, and helps with its absorption! 🙂

I also feed a rotational diet of about 75-80% kibble – it is great on the budget because it allows me to take advantage of sales, and also great for my dog, who gets a new food with every small bag, and he gets to try different proteins and recipes. I top all kibble meals with additives at breakfast (coconut oil, plain yoghurt/plain kefir, raw egg, canned sardines), and at dinner with THK (I alternate between 4 flavors) or Big Dog Natural tripe, with an RMB once/week. So far so good – Bruno is happy and healthy and even if a food doesn’t sit well with him, I have a backup in the rotation of a food he’s had before and done well on to patch him up until the next new recipe! 🙂

#55338 Report Abuse
    Crystal J

Thank you all for your replies. I feel more comfortable now. Both my dogs seem to do really well on this diet. I do also feed an egg or a little bit of meat sometimes. For treats I use Ziwipeak or Orijen treats, or bits of meat, I give veggies to Victor but Hitch won’t eat them, I give tiny bits of cheese to Hitch but not Victor because even the smallest bit gives Victor stomach issues.

#55353 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Naturella, what kibble do you use, or rotation of kibble? Also, when you feed an rmb for that day, how much kibble do you take away? I don’t know how much your dog weighs but I would like to know how you incorporate that into brunos diet.

#55386 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Zach, let’s see… Bruno is 14.5 lbs (could go up to 15 lbs eventually if he isn’t yet, but in late September he was 14.5 lbs). 14-15 lbs is a healthy weight for him. He is a small terrier mix of sorts (could be Jack Russell +/- Miniature Rat Terrier +/- Chihuahua +/- something else for all we know – he was found in the bushes, so we sometimes joke that he is a Bush Terrier, lol).

For kibble – I never go below 4-star foods (so far) and I rotate brands and proteins with every bag now (I used to rotate AND mix brands before). Thank goodness my guy is small, so foods last him a while. But, I supplement with a teaspoon of raw, organic, unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil every other day or so (Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday at breakfast), 2 heaping teaspoons of plain yoghurt/plain kefir Monday and Friday at breakfast, a raw egg once/week (Wednesday at breakfast), a half can of sardines in water once/week (Saturday at breakfast), and a raw meaty bone once/week (Sunday for dinner always – no other food for that meal). Also, for all meals that do not include the above additives (the dinner meals), I add 1-2 teaspoons of THK (alternating between Love, Embark, Force, and Keen, and also BDN), and I add water to make it soupy. Sometimes I would use canned, and still add a tad more water. And also Big Dog Natural (BDN; air-dried) green tripe, so you add that and water to the kibble, let it rehydrate as with THK, and serve.

As far as how much I take away – as per the feeding calculator on this site, and his food bags recommendations, he should have about 1 cup of dry/day, give or take small caloric differences in his brands of food. So, what I do is, I feed 3/4 cups/day of most recipes to account for the additives. On Saturday, when I feed the 1/2 can of sardines I feed 1/4 cup kibble for breakfast instead of the usual 1/4 + 1/8 cup. On Sunday, when I feed the RMB for dinner, I feed no kibble or THK, nothing. Just RMB. On Wednesday, when I feed the raw egg, I feed 1/4 cup kibble. All other meals, even with additives, are 1/4 + 1/8 cup of dry per meal. Of course, I make minor adjustments based on activity, body condition, etc., but that is his norm from which I can adjust.

Dry foods I have tried that he has done well on and could eat the kibble with no problems are: Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Puppy (his first food when we got him, before I knew much about dog food – not a bad food though; Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy, Vets Choice Holistic Health Extension – Original, Allergix Chicken and Turkey, and Lamb and Brown Rice formulas, Dr. Tim’s Kinesis Grain Free (slightly bigger kibble, but oh well, he managed it just fine), Nutrisca Chicken and Chickpeas, Earthborn Holistic Grain Free (Coastal Catch and Primitive Natural), Victor Grain Free (all formulas) – (LOADS of samples, enough to consider him having eaten it and done well on it as a brand), Nature’s Variety Instinct (on samples he did well, on the actual food, Rabbit recipe – not really, so I stopped feeding it), Now! Fresh Adult (1 lb sample, he did well on it), NutriSource Grain Free all recipes (samples), Annamaet Grain Free (samples), Wysong (various samples), and I have a lot lined up – Back to Basics Red Meat, Canidae Pure Salmon, Dogswell LiveFree Salmon, Wysong Nurture with Quail, Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast. He’s had one-time samples of Stella and Chewy’s and Primal too, loved them. On occasion I would give him a small piece of a fruit/veggie, or a piece of organ/meat as a tiny treat, but those are sporadic enough for me to not account for. Same with edible natural chews – he can chew on and “eat” his antler daily, but sometimes I give half a 6-inch bully stick, 1/3 cow ear, 1 piggy snout (small) or 1 lamb ear, homemade doggie ice-cream treats, and those I don’t account for in his meals.

Hope this helps, I tried to be pretty extensive… LoL

#55415 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Zach, I found my old menu for Bruno from May this year! LoL! Here it is, in case it helps or for reference of what has been to what is now regarding feeding. Only a little bit has changed really – I don’t mix foods anymore and I only feed twice/day, and I have sopped feeding dinner on Sundays if he gets an RMB. My additives also fluctuate sometimes too, and I may or may not use canned sometimes instead of THK/BDN.

Enjoy:

“Bruno’s add-ins (various canned such as Merrick, Wellness, Nutro Ultra, etc.; THK Love, Embark, Force, Keen; yoghurt/kefir, cottage cheese, coconut oil, raw eggs, pumpkin, flaxseed meal on occasion, canned sardines on occasion, RMBs (pork necks and chicken backs at the moment), and raw spelts (small fish), and natural dehydrated chews – bully sticks, ears, snouts, chicken feet and necks, tracheas, etc.) constitute about 1/4 (25%) of his daily intake. However, THK and canned are also considered balanced foods (right?), so I think I am at below 20% with unbalanced additives. I just use his body condition as a guide, and will start keeping track of his weight (IDK if I will measure him though) – he is very active and runs a lot, and appears to be in tip top shape.

Also, I will give you Bruno’s weekly sample menu. He is an about 13lb, 1 year old, active Rat Terrier mix.
    Kibble mix is: Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch:Vets Choice Holistic Health Extension Original:Victor Yukon Salmon in 3:1:1/3 ratio.

Treats: above kibble mix or NutriSource Seafood Select or Castor and Pollux Organix Adult (the last 2 are from samples). Also available are Nutro and Old Mother Hubbard biscuits for special occasions. Also for special occasions (or to keep him busy when I’m busy too) I make him ice-cream with yoghurt, peanut butter, coconut oil and coconut butter, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and turmeric, and I fill anything I can – his Kong, marrow bone, hoof, other toys with holes – and freeze. Rarely I give raw veggies/fruits like carrots, cucumbers, watermelon, apple, pineapple core, mango, raw coconut, etc. (safe stuff).

Monday:
    Breakfast: 1/4 cup kibble with teaspoon coconut oil and water to make it soupy
    Lunch: 1/4 cup kibble with teaspoon THK chicken and water to make it soupy
    Dinner: 1/4 cup kibble with 2 teaspoons canned and water to make it soupy

Tuesday:
    Breakfast: 1/4 cup kibble with 2 teaspoons yoghurt/kefir and water to make it soupy
    Lunch: 1/4 cup kibble with 2 teaspoons canned and water to make it soupy
    Dinner: 1/4 cup kibble with teaspoon THK turkey and water to make it soupy

Wednesday:
    Breakfast: 1/4 cup kibble with raw egg (no shell) with a sprinkle of flaxseed meal
    Lunch: 1/4 cup kibble with teaspoon THK beef and water to make it soupy

Thursday:
    Dinner: 1/4 cup kibble with teaspoon THK turkey and water to make it soupy

Friday:
    Breakfast: 1/4 cup kibble with 2 teaspoons cottage cheese and water to make it soupy
    Lunch: 1/4 cup kibble with 2 teaspoons raw organ meat (whatever I have) or raw meat/fish (whatever I have) or 2 teaspoons of canned and water to make it soupy
    Dinner: 1/4 cup kibble with teaspoon THK chicken and water to make it soupy

Saturday:
    Lunch: 1/4 cup kibble with teaspoon THK turkey and water to make it soupy

Sunday:
    Breakfast: 1/4 cup kibble with 2 teaspoons pumpkin with a sprinkle of cinnamon and water to make it soupy
    Dinner: 1/4 cup kibble with teaspoon THK beef and water to make it soupy
    RMB to cap it out

On days when Bruno runs a lot (i.e. Dog Park days) I may switch his next meal’s add-in with raw egg or raw meat/organ meats/fish (or canned sardine) for added natural protein “post WOD”. Or give him a dehydrated natural chew like a bully stick, a cow/lamb/pig ear, or tripe stick, or you know – “richer” stuff to make up for the calories burned and supply some lean meat for his muscles. I really just kind of gage his body condition and appetite for stuff as far as additives go. And sometimes, if I’m out of canned, I put his plain dry kibble in a dispensing toy and let him play with it and eat it as is. I also do some training daily and reward with about 20 kibble bits, and, if I want to stress on something – an Old Mother Hubbard or Nutro biscuit. Oh, and I almost always add water (as you can see) for added hydration.”

#55421 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Thank you so much! It was really extensive!

#55422 Report Abuse
    Naturella

You’re welcome, lol, yeah… Sorry about that. Just hope it helps you somehow. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.