šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    hvnlysrph
    Participant

I was wondering if someone could help me understand about canned dog food (as we just adopted a dog who will only eat canned dog food). I know you should transition when changing dry dog food, but do I need to stick to the same flavor of canned food or can I switch up flavors if they are in the same brand without doing a transition?

#12121 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi hvnlysrph –

There’s no reason to “transition” a healthy dog from food to food regardless of if you’re feeding canned or dry. If your dog is accustomed to eating the same food and has eaten the same food for a long period of time you many initially find that you need to transition, however once your dog gets used to switching foods you shouldn’t need to. When my dog ate dry food I got a new brand with a new protein source at the end of every bag (every 2-3 weeks) and rotated canned food toppers daily. All of my dogs now eat a raw diet and get something different at each meal. None have any digestive issues with switching. Switching brands and varieties is the healthiest thing you can do.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.