šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Starr D

my mini-schnauzers are eating hills science diet zd canned food. they poop constantly. other brands have caused very loose stool and upset stomach. is there a high quality hypoallergenic (grain free) brand that is also low residue and won’t make them poop so much?

#43721 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

What other brands have you tried? Have you tried supplementing with fiber (canned pumpkin or cooked sweet potato), digestive supplements (like probiotics), or extra oils (like fish or olive)? The reason why SD makes him poop so much is because of all the worthless fillers in there.

I went from a 1 star to a 4star food with my dog way back years ago. He went from making 7-10 BIG piles daily to only 3-5…

#43724 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Is there a medical reason you need the food to be more residue?

#43736 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Darn auto correct, I meant low residue.

#43740 Report Abuse
    Starr D

no medical reason for low residue. thought it might lesson pooping. skin probs require hypoallergenic grain free. have tried merrick grainfree and weruva. both are high quality foods and hypoallergenic but continued use led to runny poop. although frequency was 2 – 3 x per day v 7-8x per day w hills zd

#43742 Report Abuse

What type of skin issue do they have? Schnauzers are not a high skin issue breed do I surprised yoj h as ve more than one with food allergies?

#43743 Report Abuse
    Harpers Mom

Merrick is a rich food so it is common for dogs to have runny poos if they aren’t used to something like that. I would look for a food maybe slightly lower protein, but definitely get off Science diet, not a good food. I’m not too familiar with weurva, but others on here are. Why type of skin problems do they have (allergies, dander, etc)?

#43744 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Ah yes. Merrick is a very rich food. Possibly try something like NutriSource GF. My allergy-prone girl is doing well on it, and it’s not an overly rich food. Her stools are fine.

#43758 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, have you tried the Holistic Select kibbles they are Hydrolized proteins & the kibble is a low residue kibble…low residue means that the kibble breaks up more easier in the dogs stomach & when water is added to a low residue kibble it will soften straight away they are not real hard kibbles..alot of grainfree kibbles are very very hard exspecially if they have poatoes they go straight thru Patch.. I have my boy on the Eukanuba Intestinal as he has I.B.D, Pancreatitis & seasonal allergies, itchy skin….he was on the Royal Canin Hypoallergenic kibble & this gave Patch very very sloppy poos as the fat% was 19%, now Patch is on the Eukanuba Intestinal a low residue kibble fat is 10% it has cleared up Patches skin & fixed his sloppy poos… Ive been slowly adding the Holistic Select senior Chicken & rice the Fat% is 10% the Protein is 26% & the kibble softens straight away if I add water….. You probably wont find a low residue kibble that is grainfree, I prefer a kibble with just a few good grains like rice & oatmeal..I dont mind oatmeal as the oatmeal helps sooth Patches tummy & bowel…. http://www.holisticselect.com they do have 2 grainfree kibbles also..Good-luck its so hard finding a kibble that agrees with a dog with digestion problems, its taken me 1 year to find the Holistic Select kibbles that break up easy & dont upset Patches tummy but he still on the Eukanuba aswell I mix them together now or sometimes he has 1 kibble for lunch & the other kibble for dinner.. I ask him which one & he picks the kibble thats in containers.. I just wish I could do the whole rotation thing like a lot of people do on this site but Im just so happy that Patch is pooing normal & I can pick it up with no messes on someones lawn..

#43762 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

In the US, Holistic Select proteins are not hydrolyzed.

#43763 Report Abuse
    Starr D

thanks to every one for their response! only one has skin allergies – some bumpy dermatitis along back. it generally improves when we limit grains and use oatmeal shampoos. it is also worse in spring and summer so we think grass may also contribute. Not much itching, but an occasional Benadryl takes care of it when he does. does the nurtrisource gf require a prescription? does the eukenuba intestinal?

#43764 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hypoallergenic is basically nomenclature. If a hypoallergenic food contains beef, and your dog is intolerant of our allergic to beef, he’ll still produce a response.

You wanted low residue. Did you identify your dog’s reaction to foods of varying fiber levels? The food you’re feeding now contains a lot of grain (filler ingredient), so it’s producing a larger stool volume.

I’d look for a grain free food with a higher percentage of meat protein and lower carbs along with lower fiber. You might look for Victor GF Ultra Pro, which meets those criteria and has a fiber level of about 2.5%.

I’d also consider adding digestive enzymes. One I’ve had great success with four one of my dogs is Swanson’s BioCore:https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-biocore-optimum-complete-ultimate-full-spectrum-enzymes-90-veg-caps. It helps him break down sugars from starches and vegetables better than any other enzyme I’ve used.

#43792 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, you can buy online, but yes the Eukanuba Intestinal was from a vets prescription diet I
    buy online now..
    ..Id say you can buy the Nutrisource from pet shops places..when they have sensitive tummys u have to watch the fat% & protein % as this can upset their tummys, so I stick with around 10% fat & 23-26% protein for now…the Hills Science diet would have been a low protein% & fat is about 13%

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.