šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David F

Hello,
    I want to get some other opinions on dog food with chicken bones left in it. The one I am referring to is Merrick Classic Smothered Comfort All Breeds canned dog food. This is the first time I have fed this brand and I did not read the label closely enough. I was dishing up this morning for my Bouvier (1 yr, 73 lbs.), Molly, and found the knuckle from a thigh bone and then the rest of the bone. I went straight to the label and now see that they say the bone is cooked to softness and can be chewed. The way my dogs, Molly and all the Corgi’s I have raised, eat like pigs. They wouldn’t stop to chew a bone, they would swallow it. I’m not happy with this and I am wondering what others think of this approach to making canned dog food,

#93161 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I wouldn’t risk it. In fact, I avoid all canned food. Instead, I buy a quality kibble, and add toppers such as cooked ground turkey, scrambled egg, etc. plus a splash of water. I avoid canned foods in general (even for myself) as much as possible.
    PS: No bones (imo) I don’t enjoy going to the emergency vet.
    If your dogs need soft food, just presoak the kibble overnight in the fridg.

#93162 Report Abuse
    David F

Thanks. Just switching to giving her some moist, soft food with her dry food. The dry food is okay but there are times when she just avoids it. I am feeding some soft in the morning and now in the evening.

#93163 Report Abuse
    anonymous
    #93164 Report Abuse
    David F

Thanks

#93172 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I just cut them into small pieces with a spoon. They’re that soft.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #93175 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I forgot to mention, Nutrisca has decent canned food, if you are looking for something with a more chunky texture. I have been using their kibble (salmon and chickpea) for years and am pleased with the product.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.