šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jon K

I still notice Merrick food and Castor + Pollux are part of the editor’s choice with a 5 star rating. Merrick (who also makes Castor + Pollux) was sold to Purina. What are people’s opinion since the ownership change? I have read reviews on other sites they noticed a quality change. Ingredient wise, they still appear to be quality brands, but I am concerned being under Purina’s ownership now. I am seeking a grain free, low calorie dry food, preferably with smaller kibbles. Hard to find with the exception of Merrick + Castor and Pollux. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#100282 Report Abuse
    Anne A

I had no idea Merrick was sold to Purina. Perhaps that is part of the problem I have with the packaging being breached. I have thrown away all of the dry food I purchased from them in light of my fear of the contamination.

#100285 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Unless your pet has a medical condition, I wouldn’t lower the calories but increase appropriate exercise. Purina consistently kills thousands of pets per year though you don’t hear about it in the news. I feed Zignature Zssentials, small round flat kibble shaped. They also have many limited ingredient flavors to choose from.

#100286 Report Abuse
    Jon K

My vet made commented about kcal’s in food… suggested to keep it below 400 kcal/cup otherwise I will have to feed them less quantity per serving. Reading label, so many foods are over 400+ in kcal/cup. My pups are all healthy and have been on Wellness Core Reduced Fat for years (360 kcal/cup). One of them began turning her nose up to it… tried different flavors and she still will or will not eat it depending on the day. I tried Merrick Grain Free which she did like (smaller kibbles?) but then I researched the Purina merger and stopped feeding it to her (only ate about 4-5 days worth). Editor’s Review gives both Merrick Grain Free + Castor and Pollux Ultramix Grain Free 5 stars… just so worried about Purina. Acana + Orijin I read over and over are “the best” but seems that was when it was made in Canada. Now made in the USA oddly quality has gone down. So frustrating.

#100354 Report Abuse
    Christine W

I didn’t know that either! Thank you!

#101208 Report Abuse
    elaine c

First you need to know what your dog needs in calories. It depends on what he weighs! I swear by ANSWERS PET FOOD it is real not processed and is amazing. I won’t feed my dogs anything else as I see what it has done for sick dogs too. ALL dog foods should be like this food. Kibble is proceeded. synthetic vitamins not good for dogs. Read about it!

#104381 Report Abuse
    Susan J

I’ve fed Zignature for several years with no troubles. It seems a very basic food without a lot of unpronounceable ingredients, the dog does well on it. I have tried other foods for occasional variety but always come back to Zignature. Mostly Zssentials but the other versions too.

#109494 Report Abuse
    Jamie S

Have fed Merrick for two years. All my dogs began having bad GI upset on Merrick. After finding out about Purina buying Merrick, I quickly stopped feeding it. I have been making homemade food and my dogs are well. This isnā€™t feasible longterm, and I am in search of the best dry kibble for my low energy dogs. Any suggestions? Canā€™t decide between Wellness, Candidae or Acana. These seem to consistently make the list of five star rated foods.

#109505 Report Abuse
    Christine W

The best thing i ever did for my now 9 year old Pug is put her on Wellness.She eats dry/reduced fat & my 3 year old eats Small Breed turkey,they love it & i feel good feeding it to them,never had any problems.

#109560 Report Abuse
    Karen K

Iā€™d like to know if Dog Food Advisorā€™s latest reviews of Merrick were before or after the Purina take over? There are any number of large conglomerate corporations that make both high quality and low quality products under different brand names. It’s common in cosmetics, appliances, etc. So donā€™t rush to judgment on Purina. They may not have altered the Merrick foods at all. Just keep your eyes on ingredients and the reviews here. I hope they leave the Merrick alone. Their tiny small breed kibble is the only kibble my 4 year old mini dachshund has eaten.

#109625 Report Abuse
    Thomas L

A GREAT high-quality small kibble for managing weight you say?

GET: Natural & Delicious (Farmina) Weight Management Formula

-It has simple ingredients like Quinoa, Lamb, Broccoli. My English Bulldog did great on it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.