🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 421 total)
  • Author
    Brandy R

My butcher had a bag of frozen turkey giblets for a steal. Well now i have this huge bag of frozen raw organs and pretty sure my 4 small dogs won’t be able to eat it all within a few days. Can i thaw it enough to break it apart then refreeze?

#37406 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes!!

#37408 Report Abuse
    Brandy R

Great answer

#37409 Report Abuse
    Brandy R
    #37410 Report Abuse
    Brandy R

Ooops sorry, i am trying to post thank you so much. My fingers must be going crazy:)

#37413 Report Abuse

I buy in everything in bulk and often have to partially thaw to process and then I refreeze it. Shrug. Seems to work!

#37414 Report Abuse
    Brandy R

Sounds good to me! It was so much cheaper in bulk. Now another question, i have 4 dogs ranging from 15 lbs-30 lbs. would it be ok to give them a chicken back and let them go to town? I have read so many different stories of chicken bones choke dogs and others say chicken bones are soft enough to chew right through! You guys here on this forum seem to be pretty knowlegable:)

#37422 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Raw chicken bones are usually just fine. Cooking any bones changes the matrix and causes them to splinter. The only time I worry about raw chicken and other small bones is when the dog tries to swallow them whole, so the important thing is to know what kind of chewer your dog is and give them bones of the appropriate size. My 45# Border Collies are good chewers so they can be given things with small bones. I would expect that the size your dogs are would mean that they won’t have any issues.

Oh, and you’re very welcome! We love to help people.

#37435 Report Abuse
    Brandy R

Thanks theBCnut,
    I tried it and they all did wonderful my 10 month old 30# Beagle wasn’t sure what to do at first and he is usually my gulper! It took him a minute but he figured it out and chomped it down chewing the entire time. I am extremely excited to be getting my dogs on the raw diet. I can already tell just the chewing is going to help their teeth tremendously:) i’ll be back here watching and learning more vital info and maybe more questions. Hopefully one day be able to answer a question or two…lol

#37533 Report Abuse
    pfeiner

My 7 month old Lab has decided he no longer likes his Primal. I have reached out to the group and gotten some good suggestions regarding varying brands, etc. How about toppers to make it more palatable? I am going stop by the butcher and see what is available. Any suggestions would really be appreciated!!!

#37535 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Try mixing in green tripe. I order frozen raw green tripe from Hare Today and My Pet Carnivore. You could also use a canned product like Tripett. Dogs go nuts for it.

#37536 Report Abuse
    pfeiner

Cool.. Will do. BTY – LOVE your detailed posts – thanks loads!

#37912 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Hi All, I am finding this raw food forum so interesting, just read it thru from beginning to end! I’m not ready to feed raw yet, actually got started on DFA to check the rating for my dog’s kibble. However, I’m wondering about adding some raw to Jake’s diet. He’s a beagle mix, 30ish pounds, 9 years old, good health. Can I just throw a chicken liver or 2 in with his kibble? Give him a wing or back as a treat? A chunk of stew beef now and then? Can he have a chicken thigh for dinner in place of his kibble some days? And what is this 2 week freeze I’ve heard mentioned? Do I need to freeze all meat before I give it to him? Am I killing a parasite by doing this? He loves fruits and vegies , he gets whatever I’m eating that day. Better to cook/steam them or just let him have it raw? Will still give kibble, at least for now so not worried about him needing supplements. Also, can I feed my cats the same way? Some chicken or beef in addition to their regular food? Can a cat chew up a chicken wing safely? Or more likely, a piece of a wing? Thanks!

#38649 Report Abuse
    david j

Honestly I’ve had a huge struggle with my dog and his nutrition. Anything that my dog would eat, all the major brands, would make him sick. I have him on a prescription food form my vet and its 70$ per small bag!! Insane, so i did research and came across this video/product that explained a lot. The major brands like Iams and Pedigree put a lot more ingredients than they say. DONT BUY them. I recommend you watch the video i came across, it helps explain a lot. let me know what you guys think?? http://goo.gl/7AWYSK
    And I agree on making your own treats/food, its the safest way to go, especially after watching all harmful crap they put in dog food.

#38650 Report Abuse
    david j

Thanks for all the info tho!! You guys have helped me!

#38809 Report Abuse
    Kurt L

New here…. Have recently added to Alaskan Huskies to our family. Have done some research and learning regarding commercial dog food, raw diet, a combo, etc. Still looking to locate a source for raw: chicken, beef, pork, beaver, goat, etc. I know that there are such sources in my area but I have yet to check in to them. I look forward to learning all that I can here!!! At first, when I thought about feeding my k9’s RAW food, I thought OH MY! Then I began to consider what they would eat, and have eaten, out in the wild 🙂

#39810 Report Abuse
    Ping C

If i can’t get green tripe easily, is white tripe still worth feeding??..i read that white tripe basically had all the benefits stripped off it!

#39844 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I would not feed white tripe. It would just end up being like a “filler”. There’s a couple of canned tripe you could try – Tripett and Solid Gold Green Cow. Also see if there is a Greentripe.com retailer near you. They sell frozen tripe. There is also dehydrated/freeze dried tripe which would be the most expensive per pound such as K9 Natural and other brands.

#39907 Report Abuse
    pfeiner

I have fed Tripett – I believe I got it from Chewy.com, cans are easy. The Honest Kitchen and Darwin’s sells frozen green tripe and they ship.

#40427 Report Abuse
    Ping C

thanks pugsmomsandy & pfeiner! will look for the canned/froazen/dried. We live in Singapore. fresh Green tripe is not available here!

#40429 Report Abuse
    pfeiner

That might present a challenge 🙂

#44521 Report Abuse
    Kathi K

If I am feeding a mixture of raw brands – Raw Advantage, Primal, Stella & Chewys, Columbia River Natural, do you still suggest your *Whole Food Supplement Mix? I have a 10 year old male Choco Lab that weighs about 90 pounds.

#44582 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

When feeding the whole carcass grinds that contain either fur or feathers, is there any digestive issues or concerns I should worry about? Should I add any digestive enzymes to aid in the process if she’s never had fur or feathers before? I’m interested in feeding and seeing if Mila would like them. I’m sure she would. I’m still feeding kibble and canned with some eggs and sardines occasionally but would really like to go back to raw soon. 🙂

#44586 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Bailey was totally fine when I started feeding her whole carcass rabbit grind. I was already feeding her raw though, but when I added that into her rotation, she was completely fine, no digestive issues at all. Good Luck! I’m sure Mila will do fine. 🙂

#44590 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Yeah, just need to stock up locally and from Hares Today and get some supplements. I want her to try all kinds of different stuff. I’m pretty excited about it!

#44605 Report Abuse
    Zach M

How do you find the kcals? I can find the calories but how do I convert them to kcals?

#44606 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Zach M –

While they aren’t technically the same thing, the terms “kilocalorie” and “calorie” are generally used interchangeably when referring to the caloric content of dog food. The “kilocalories” reported on pet food packaging are what we humans commonly refer to as “calories.”

#44608 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

As far as using whole carcass grinds, the fur and feathers are not digested. In dogs, they act as fiber, and help to keep everything moving through the digestive tract. All the digestive enzymes that are needed are in there naturally. Some dogs need digestive enzymes added when eating a kibble diet, but unless you have a dog with EPI or some like disease, you should not need to add digestive enzymes to raw, because there are enzymes in all raw meat. Cooking and processing destroys a lot of them.

#44615 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Awesome, thank you! I think it’ll be interesting to see her eating it, like her expression when she ate her first RMB last year. The wow! you’re actually letting me eat this look. 🙂

#44671 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I know I made sound dumb here, but I don’t really know what an RMB is. At first when i started reading the forum I thought it ment “raw meat bone”, but now I think it means recreational marrow bone because that is what it said when I looked it up..could someone clarify what it is and where to get them? Give me all the info you know please! Thx

#44677 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

RMB stands for raw meaty bones. From http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw-feeding-primer/ “This can include chicken backs, wings and necks (or even whole carcasses), lamb necks, pork necks, turkey necks, ox tails, beef ribs, turkey tails; any meaty bone that can be completely consumed by your dog. If you are feeding meatier meals (turkey or lamb necks), feed about 50% RMB, if your choices are bonier (chicken backs, pork necks, wings or ribs), feed about 30% RMB.
    Large, weight bearing bones such as marrow and knuckle bones are not considered RMB’s if the dog is not able to consume the bone. These can be given as a recreational bone..” I can find at my local supermarket chicken wings, leg quarters, turkey necks, beef oxtail, pork neck bones, whole chicken, whole turkey, whole quail. Others you could find at at a local butcher or wholesale supplier and also online at sites like Hares Today, My Pet Carnivore, and if you have Primal pet food at a local pet store they also have chicken necks, chicken backs, and turkey necks. That site is a good reference and there are so many more knowledgable people on DFA that can help you. Feel free if you have any more questions!

#44683 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Now that you know what RMBs are you’ll probably be able to find a lot more easier locally than you thought you had. Attached is also another link you could use, actually the whole site is very informative, if you need help finding resources in your area. http://www.dogaware.com/diet/rawfoods.html I’m pretty new to raw myself, just started feeding about a year ago RMBs and commercial raw and hope to get started again very soon, the forum here is a great resource if you have any questions and everyone is very helpful.

#44689 Report Abuse
    meky6ra

This thread has blown my mind! I wonder if I can even think about affording to feed my dog raw! How much does it cost you guys monthly? How long has everyone been feeding raw? How would you transition a dog to a 100% raw food diet?

P.S. I’m sorry if those questions have already been answered!

#44693 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I still have some questions about an RMB. I have a 50 lb. Dog, so what should I give her Do I want the meat on? How long should she chew it?

#44700 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

meky6ra and Zach M this reply is for both of you. I have been feeding my 50lb. girl a raw diet for a little over a year. Here is a thread, in this Raw Dog Food topic, of mine that I started before I jumped in to raw feeding…

/forums/topic/help-with-starting-my-dog-on-a-raw-diet/

There is a ton of information on this site, especially in all the threads in the Raw Dog Food Topic. I asked questions, did a TON of research and was scared to death to start feeding my dog raw, lol! But, I did it, and my dog is healthy, happy and I am so glad I did. It is pricier than feeding kibble or canned food, but their are so many resources out there and raw feeding groups that can help cut down on the cost. I chose to feed my dog homemade raw, but there are alot of commercial raw products available that many people use and love.

Zach, You could start by giving your dog a turkey neck or a chicken back. It’s mostly bone, but has some meat on it. Your dog can consume the whole thing, bone and all. Unless your dog is a very voracious chewer or a gulper, you shouldn’t have any problems at all. Your dog will figure out how to crunch and chew the bone up and it is very good for their teeth.

Good luck to both of you! Take the time to ask questions and research and then, take the plunge…..your dog will love you for it! 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Cyndi.
    #44702 Report Abuse
    meky6ra

Thank you! I’m scared to start feeding raw food, also :-p I worry about bacteria and getting the vitamins/minerals right. I would really love to make my dog’s food for her. I wouldn’t worry about the quality of the ingredients in her dogfood.

#44703 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Thank you so much!

#44704 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I still worry if I’m giving Bailey the right vitamins/minerals/supplements, etc. Check out See Spot Live Longer dinner mix. I use that often. All you do is add it to boneless meat. I also use, on occasion, Dr. Harvey’s Multi-Vitamin & Mineral Herbal Dog Supplement. Other than that, I add Coconut oil, some tinned sardines a couple times a week, a fresh, cage free egg every couple days and some Apple Cider Vinegar, that’s pretty much it. It really did seem overwhelming to me at first, so I know how you feel, but once you get going and get the hang of it, it’s really easy. I’m still learning and I read everything I can about raw feeding and all the threads and stuff. The different kinds of raw foods you can feed your dog, once he’s used to it, are endless…

Zach M ~ You’re very welcome! 🙂

#45563 Report Abuse
    Zach M

What are your guys costs per month for feeding a raw diet

#45700 Report Abuse

Hey Zach,

First, it’s going to depend on the size of the dog you are feeding. I have a 150lb Great Dane that eats 3 lbs per day which is about 90 lbs per month.

I used to feed 50% commercial raw and 50% The Honest Kitchen and my food bill was upwards of $300 per month.

I just started making homemade raw. I’m using Steve Brown’s recipes from Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet. The chicken recipe uses half chicken necks and half boneless, skinless thighs with heart and liver. The chicken recipe cost me less than $2/lb to make, closer to $1.50. The beef recipe cost a bit more because beef is expensive. I think it averaged out to be around $3-3.50/lb. This is significantly cheaper than commercial raw which I was paying anywhere from $4.50 to $6.00/lb for. When you need to feed 3lbs per day the savings add up.

Since I just started I don’t have a monthly food bill yet but I’m guessing it will be around $200. It should be a cost savings of $100/month for me.

I hope this helps.

#45705 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Hey RescueDaneMom,

I definitely dont have a 150 lb. Great Dane but my dog eats like one! Anyway, I was just wondering costs, and your reply helped. Thanks!

#45720 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

That was such a great example. Lots of people don’t transition their dogs to raw due to the cost. But if someone can make feeding a Great Dane look more cost effective than it’s definitely worth a shot. I was going to add that if you have a local co-op or wholesale supplier you can get things like RMBs in bulk that’ll last you for awhile and worth the price. http://www.dogaware.com/diet/rawgroups.html

#46362 Report Abuse
    Katie J

So I have went through this entire thread (skimmed a tiny bit) and couldn’t find my answer surprisingly enough. I have been toying with the idea of going raw for my new pup that I mentioned in the Editor’s Choice forum, but worry that I could screw him up if I get the balance off. The puppy stage is too important to screw up. I keep researching raw anyhow because I want to switch to raw eventually for him and my terrier mix. I even recently found a co-op that delivers close by.

My bug question, as I see most people are feeding medium – large dogs, is how I maintain balance for small dogs? My terrier is 15-20 lbs (just guessing but I can weigh him), and my pup is 8-9 lbs (he weighed 7 lbs about two weeks ago at the vet). For those who haven’t read the other thread, he’s almost a 4 months old Shiba Inu/Akita Inu that I purchased secondhand but was a pet store pup. Yes, he is very small for his age, and no, I have no idea how big he’ll be. He seems to be growing like a weed though! Anyhow to maintain the proper balance for the pup, would I have to rely mostly on grinds? I assume I can find a proper balance for my terrier without solely using grinds. I haven’t even looked into the cost of a grinder yet. If I were to use a premix like See Spot Live Longer, do I give these little guys 1 lb of boneless meat? Seems like an awful lot! And on the topic of supplements, I know a lot of puppy foods have added DHA. Would I want to add that in a puppy raw diet? I was also toying with the idea of placing an order with the co-op for a few things to try to add in to the current diet of kibble and wet my pup is getting to help him transition. Is it safe to use raw as a topper on kibble? Or should I feed raw as an exclusive meal?

Thank you for all of this information! I discovered this website about a week ago and have since made it my personal mission to find out how to give my dogs the best!

#46364 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Since I have squeamish people living in my house and they may have to feed, I use raw as a topper, actually I feed about half and half, but I still mix kibble and raw. I know several people who do likewise with no problems. Or you can feed it as a seperate meal.

To use See Spot Live Longer, you can adjust the amount you make as you need to. Two tablespoon of SSLL per 1/2 lb of boneless meat, one tablespoon of SSLL per 1/4 lb of boneless meat, whatever works for you. DHA is in fish oil and if you don’t feed a meal of oily fish once a week, you need to give fish oil.

You can also give raw meaty bones as long as you don’t exceed 20% of the diet with unbalance foods..

#46370 Report Abuse

I started feeding raw as a topper then went 50/50 then switched to full raw. Some dogs can handle kibble mixed with raw and some can’t. If yours can’t, then you can do kibble for one meal and raw for another meal.

With smaller dogs, I would guess that it will probably be easier for you to feed grinds. You can purchase a cheap grinder on Amazon. I just did this recently and got a good grinder for under $90. It grinds chicken bones with no problem. Turkey bones are too hard for small grinders so you can’t grind those or beef bones. The only bones I’ve tried thus far have been chicken. You may also be able to get already ground meat/mixes from your co-op.

You may want to look into purchasing Steve Brown’s book called “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet.” There are raw recipes with and without bone and he specifies what you need to do if feeding a puppy.

Hope this helps.

#46372 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Katie J,

“Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats” has a recipe modified for pups. It also includes a recipe for a vitamin/mineral supplement.

#46373 Report Abuse
    Katie J

Thanks guys! I was wanting to introduce all of the potential raw ingredients through his puppyhood before making the leap. I keep reading that making the switch to raw is a lot easier than it seems. But boy, it sure looks awfully complicated going through this thread!

In reference to SSLL, am I missing the serving size guide on the website? My iPad doesn’t zoom the bag picture correctly. I see that it’s highly recommended, but I want to see what it’ll actually cost me to feed.

$90 for a grinder is very reasonable. I hadn’t started looking yet, but I was thinking that would be quite the investment. I could supplement with grinds from another source and grind chicken in house. I am just looking to be as inexpensive as possible. I may not be factoring everything right, but it sounds like feeding raw could be cheaper than the kibble I have been experimenting with. We haven’t settled on a kibble that the pup loves. And my terrier has been taking a liking to wet food over his kibble.

I have a sample of Steve Brown’s book saved. I have been debating on purchasing as I wasn’t sure if I was ready for it yet. The other book sounds promising.

Maybe I’ll get some things from the co-op to try. Also I think I saw someone say that they buy from the grocery store. I work at an Aldi. Not sure if anyone is familiar with the store. We don’t have a butcher but have a decent selection of pork, beef and chicken prepackaged. Is that safe for dogs?

#46374 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

My small adult, indoor, lapdog pugs eat 6 oz per day (if they were full time raw feeding). Raw feeding amounts generally go by the dog’s weight but you still have to adjust for age and activity. Feeding 2% is generally for maintenance, puppies can require 4-8%. How I balance my raw is trying to make recipes close to the 80/10/10 ratio. Preymodelraw dot com has an article giving bone content of cuts of meat so I do some math and see how much muscle/organs I need to add to X amount of necks (mostly bone). But that’s after trying out the recipes from “Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats” and feeling comfortable with making my own. The book has some great info even if you don’t use the recipes, I would still recommend it.

#46379 Report Abuse
    Katie J

I’ll definitely pick up that book you’re suggesting this weekend. We’re planning a puppy outing at our local town center that has several pet friendly stores.

My little guys are pretty active. When they aren’t napping, it’s full on puppy mode for both of them! Plus we make trips about 5 times a week to where I board my horses, and spend several hours playing and exploring. I figure once the pup is full grown, we’ll be going through about a pound a day between the two of them. But I have no idea how big the pup will get. I could be underestimating. The co-op I plan to purchase from estimates about $1.50 a day to feed a 40 lb dog, and I think we will be under that weight between the two of them. I can get behind that! I am a little overwhelmed with their offerings as a lot of it is large portions. I’m not sure how to feed it all. I guess those books would answer that for me!

Next I want to look into supplements for their raw diet. I gather that they can have human multivitamins. The only draw back is that I have to make sure it’s safe for dogs and the mix may not be optimal, right? I know that Hound Dog Mom buys things separately. But I’ll admit her list of supplements confuses me quickly!

#46405 Report Abuse
    Katie J

To avoid creating another thread, I think this still fits hear, but I want to add sardines once a week. Currently the pup really seems to like the Earthborn Holistic Primitive Naturals, which contains whitefish. I have read that Steve Brown discourages feeding kibble that contains fish due to a concern of rancidity. I have to admit that I like how much my pup likes it and the 5 star rating. Assuming I continue to feed it, would his appropriate serving of sardines be too much given the kibble contains fish?

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 421 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.