🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lynn J

Here is a question I have been pondering….. assuming you have two 5 star dog foods, made by companies on the Editor’s Choice list AND your dog does very well on both, and you have no other concerns…. Would you choose a food that gets it protein from meat based sources over one that the protein is plant based? For example, Orijen or GO! Fit and Free vs Fromm or Annamet, etc?

#59188 Report Abuse
    Lord F

Meat-based. Dog are biologically and physically made to eat meat not plants. If you look at their anatomy, meat is the only food that is biologically appropriate and the most natural to our pups. I would personally never go plant-based, I don’t even think I’d go back to just kibble! lol

#59194 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I prefer meat based.

#59195 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

If they’re both 5 star I would feed both and probably several other foods in the rotation.

#59219 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I agree with Sandy. I’d rotate them all!

#59250 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Their protein is not plant based, or not all, that would be a vegetarian food, and those don’t make the 5 star list. Plant based means that more than half of the food comes from plants. This is a combination of all the carbs, some of the oil, and some of the protein. I would feed both, but I would add canned, raw, or fresh animal based protein to all of them.

#59272 Report Abuse
    CSollers

I agree with the rotation idea.

#59333 Report Abuse
    Lynn J

Thanks to all, especially theBCnut. I was under the wrong impression that when the reviews said “plant based” it meant that a lot of the protein came from plants (peas, etc). So now I know better :-). My preference has been meat based, but many of the highly rated kibbles are plant based, so I was confused.

And I do rotate, and add toppers such as Stella and Chewys, eggs, etc.

#59339 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It sounds like you have a good system going!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.