Mastiff Owners preferred (or other giant dog owners)

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Mastiff Owners preferred (or other giant dog owners)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Erika B

After doing a bunch of researching on websites regarding protein, calcium, phosphorus, and listening to people’s and vets feedback, and opinions. I have decided to narrow it down to these 4 dog foods and was wondering what we’re your experiences, if you have any when feeding these dog foods, overall good? Why bad? Or simply which one would you choose or prefer and why? (Mastiff owner or giant breed owner)

Royal canin size health nutrition Giant puppy dry dog food: (vet recommended royal canin, I disagree)
    32% protein,
    calcium (min) 0.82, (min) – not max
    phosphorus (min) 0.67% (min) – not max
    3584 kilocalories, 340 kilo calories ME per cup
    1st two ingredients brewers rice, chicken by product meal

Large & Giant breed puppy – precise holistic complete.
    23% protein
    Calcium 1.30(min) – not max
    Phosphorus 0.95 (min) – not max
    3528.84 kcal, 400.10 ME per cup
    1st two ingredients chicken, chicken meal,

Fromm Gold
    26.58% protein
    Calcium 1.01 (as-is) 1.08(dry basis)
    Phosphorus 0.95 (as-is) 1.02 (basis)
    1st two ingredients duck, chicken meal
    -does not have fruit, only veggies

Nurti source Large breed puppy
    26% protein
    Calcium 1.0 (min) – not max
    phosphorus 0.8 (min) – not max
    3,924 kcals per kg, 400 kcals per cup
    1st two ingredients chicken and chicken meal

#79003 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi, I’ve already posted to you on your other thread, and while I have a large breed (pitbull) not a giant breed (though they require the same nutrition as puppies), my boyfriends brother has a Great Dane. His brother used Precise Holistic Complete Large &Giant Breed Puppy and now the Adult version. Cash(his Great Dane) grew perfectly, no skeletal or growth disorders, he remains lean and muscular and hes in great health. Cash is living proof for why this is one of my top recommended foods for giant breed puppies.

Thats my opinion and little anecdote for you, hopefully other giant breed dog owners will share.

#79005 Report Abuse
    Erika B

Yes, your post were helpful thank you so much. I was able to know what to look for!

#79008 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

No problem. Also I agree with you about Royal Canin. I would stay far away from that brand personally.

#79009 Report Abuse
    Erika B

Good thinking! I don’t always agree with vets

#79013 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Erika,

Not a Mastiff owner… but in the 90’s when I was showing labs my friend showed Mastiffs. At the time she had the top winning female in the history of the breed. Went BOS at Westminster!

About 7 yrs ago?? I went to the nationals with them. When there I asked every breeder I came across what food they thought best for raising their dogs. Everyone of them said Eukaneuba. Eukaneuba was what my friend was feeding too to her show dogs. She said she tried many others but always went back to that brand as her line seemed to do best on it.

When I choose a food for pups I always stay with a company that has veterinary nutritionists on staff, and I want a product that has undergone feeding trials preferable with large/giant breeds.

#79017 Report Abuse
    Erika B

How do you check for vet on staff and if the product has undergone feeding trails?

#79029 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

You would need to email the company and ask them, however the foods that you have listed in your first post are in fact safe for LBP’s. I also do believe Fromm employees a veterinary nutritionist who formulates their foods. Not 100% sure on that though.

#79038 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Erika,

For feeding trial information read the AAFCO statement on the bag of food you are interested in. It will say something like “formulated to meet ” or “Animal feeding tests …”

You will likely need to call the company to see if they have veterinary nutritionist on staff. Smaller companies can’t afford to employ a nutritionist full time but instead may have a contractual arrangement with one. Other companies employ PhD nutritionists and veterinarians vs a veterinary nutritionist. But ask for credentials!! In talking to companies I found they will say “yes” to the do you employ a nutritionist question and then the person they are calling a nutritionist has a bachelors in business marketing!

Ask who formulates the diet and what their degree is. A company may consult with a nutritionist but that isn’t who is formulating the diet.

These are the guidelines I use to start to evaluate a food. I do allow for exceptions in certain circumstances.

#79041 Report Abuse
    Erika B

Fromm stated they do have vets and nutrionist and she was one of them, but that they don’t have any of that information on their website and that she wouldn’t give me false information. Also, that the food has undergone feeding trials but their not always conclusive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.