🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Heather H

I have read so many different things, saying grain free is the best, raw is best. Clearly, I want what is best for my dog, and we would like to try and prevent any further recurrence of Mast Cells from developing, but does anyone have any experience with what is going to help, with out breaking the bank? I have had a lab in the past that we did multiple surgeries on and the medications after mast cells, this is a golden doodle, we also have a lab at home, we have switched away from all Blue Buffalo products in fear that there was a link there, with having two dogs get this terrible cancer.
    Any advice is welcome.

#73208 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Heather-
    Cancer is a very serious diagnosis and none of us here are vets. I don’t know how many here have dealt with that specific type of cancer. If you are wondering about a diet that is more all natural for a dog like a raw diet I would absolutely consult with a holistic vet. They are far better versed in dog nutrition than most vet’s are and can probably aid you in formulating the best diet for dogs with that diagnosis.

you can do a simple google search to see if there are any holistic vets in your area and most are willing to do an over the phone consultation for free.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Pitlove.
    #73210 Report Abuse
    Heather H

While I appreciate your reply and honesty, I knew this panel would not be made up of vets, I was just curious if anyone had any experience with Mast Cells in the past. I have done a lot of research, we have a great vet, and an oncology vet as well that are taking care of the case, but lets face it vets are like doctors, they too see “representatives,” the holistic approach is a great thought, but that comes down to a raw diet, and seeing what else they may have to offer, Thanks pitlove!

#73211 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

This is a great site made up of a lot of people who have a wealth of knowledge about a lot of things having to do with dog nutrition regardless of them not being vets. I guess my point was to offer you something you could do in the now instead of hoping someone on here has been through the exact same diagnosis.

If you can’t/don’t want to/or are uncomfortable feeding raw you can certainly tell the holistic vet that and she might be able to find another option for you. Raw typically is the best diet for dogs, however when medical conditions come into play who is to say whats best as that can change with each case.

Great to know that you have vet’s that are supporting you! What diets have they recommended just curious? Prescription? or other.

#73212 Report Abuse
    Heather H

Actually, none, they both feel his weight and everything was ideal, they think he is overall healthy and his breed makes him predisposed to the disease (which is possible) however my issue is that I now have a second dog that I was feeding blue buffalo (possible coincidence, even though I now know the food is crap), that has come up with the same diagnosis, that is what is weighing so heavy on me. My other companion dog at the time of either was perfectly healthy (as a side note) they both are a great weight, so skin issues, etc. I am literally making myself crazy over this. I do believe grain free is the best way to go as it is can be a histamine producer.

#73213 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Interesting, so what are they eating now if you don’t mind me asking? My dog for the first few months of his life ate BB as well. Thankfully no issues that serious, just refused to eat for a day and thats when I changed his diet and also learned about rotation feeding. So now he eats a different brand every bag and a different brand of wet food every meal as well. I keep maybe 4-5 brands of wet on hand at a time and cycle through those as much as I can.
    On the note of Blue, a lot of people on this site, including myself, won’t feed Blue products anymore. I’m sure its still far better of a food then let’s say Beneful, but I can’t give my money to a company that A) Lied for a year+ about what was in their food B) now has number of reports of dogs being sick from it leading me to believe that Blue is an overpriced bag of junk and that their ingredients have gone in the gutter to be able to mass produce more food.

I tend to agree that grain free is far better than grain inclusive, however grain-free does not mean carb free. All dry kibble needs carbs to bind the food together, hence the introduction of white potatoe to the grain-free kibble industry. That along with other carbs like sweet potatoe, legumes, peas etc. I just learned however with white potatoe, in the process of being cooked to be used for dog food (dog food gets cookd twice over, rendered and then extruded) a carcinogenic by-product is released that has been known to cause cancer in dogs and humans. Something to look into?

Basically be wery of grain-free foods as well, as they can still be high in carbs, which can be hard to digest and aggravating for some dogs. One food I personally like and many others on this site do too is Orijen made by Champion Pet Foods out of Alberta Canada. Award winning kitchens, human grade meat, poultry and fish sourced regionally in Canada as well.

#73219 Report Abuse
    Heather H

After much going stark raving mad, and I switch to non other than a costco brand, it gets I believe a 4 to 4.5 star review on here, and it has chicory root, and chia seed, which I question, but not enough to cause to much concern, but I am at the reviews again, simply because he seems lethargic, not as “happy” as he was even right after the tumor was removed, and Mast Cells are external and his was low grade, so no reason for him to behaving this way from a diagnosis stand point.

#73220 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Kirklands I assume? I know a few people on here use it with no issue, but again the cancer could be playing a role. Have you spoken to the vet about his new behavior or is this only within the last day or so? is he in “remission” from the cancer?

#73223 Report Abuse
    Heather H

The tumor was removed, wide margins etc, therefore with mast cells, there isn’t really a remission so to speak, tumor is gone, cancer is gone unless another appears, and so far so good. He did act fine until just this last week after we were out of town, so maybe just the heat change. I could be a dog mom over thinking it, Kirklands food is correct and the other dog is fine, it did take them a 2 week adjustment period and we are not using the salmon formula, as fish is not recommended or mast cells. He is also 6 an may just need the 2 year old to give him a break! Again, I may just be in his face too much….

#73224 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Ah i see. well thats good to hear! i have never had a pet with any type of cancer so its really hard for me to say whether or not you could be over reacting. but in my opinion (because im like this with my animals) any change in normal behavior should be looked into. there is always something behind it even if its nothing life threatening.
    Definitely did not know about fish and mast cells! learn something new every day. i think by principle for cats and dogs avoiding fish is good because of the high risk of toxins in fish and the addictive nature it has for kitties. i try to avoid it if i can.

#73229 Report Abuse
    c-monkey

Hi Heather, my Buddy has Osteosarcoma (not Mast Cell). We just found out that the cancer spread to his lungs. He’s on a second round of “chemo”, and believe it or not, he’s feeling better than he was before starting the chemo (chemotherapy is very different for dogs, they seem to tolerate it far better than we do). I feed him FreshPet grain-free slice and serve on top of good dry food which I vary from month to month. I don’t worry as much about the treats (I did at first, but grain-free treats start to get expensive, and many of them he wouldn’t eat).
    I strongly recommend a curcumin supplement. I use Curcuvet, found on Amazon. Buddy was given 1-3 months to live last October after his amputation surgery, and he’s still happy, jumping around and enjoying life today. I also give him “k-9 Immunity plus” treats, about 6 per day (he’s approx. 71lbs after the surgery).
    I understand about being “in his face” too much, LOL! I am forever fretting if Buddy behaves in any way different than usual. Just don’t forget to relax and enjoy your time with him too (that’s what everyone tells me too, sometimes we forget when we are all bunched up with worry).

Good luck and keep us posted!

#73235 Report Abuse
    Heather H

I am sorry to hear that Buddy had Osteosarcoma, however, glad to hear he is fighting the good fight! I appreciate your feedback, the Curcuvet sounds interesting, I am going to look further into that. We can definitely make ourselves and our furbabies crazy and that is not the intention, but you are so right if we don’t relax they sense it!

#73559 Report Abuse
    bigthree
    Participant

I had a 12 year old chocolate lab that had a massive tumor that started in the back of her mouth then multiplied into her esophagus. Its always tough to watch an animal go through something like that since they can’t tell you were it hurts. A far as diet goes talking to your vet is always the best way to go. While my Heide battled with cancer for a little over a year I had to put her down. She ended up going through chemo, radiation, and three surgeries, so when you have three vets are telling you that the only way she can survive any longer in with a feeding bag that she will have to eat and drink through you sometimes need to the toughest decision. Anyway I know I made the right one and she is not suffering any more. So talk to your vet and if you don’t feel comfortable with what they are telling you get another opinion.

#74801 Report Abuse
    Terrina L

Hi Heather
    I am going through the same thing 🙁 My little girl is on her last round of chemo. I too spent hours scowering the internet for any information. I’m sure that you have read on many sites that a low carb diet is essential for fighting cancer. I switched my dog to Evo. It has the least amount of carbs for the dry and the canned food has zero carbs. Also check into a supplement called Miatake DMG by VeriScience. My vet recommend that. I hope all is going well with your fur baby.

#74802 Report Abuse
    Heather H

I hate that you are going through this, but I do hope all turns out well, I have faith that it will. All is well here, we are not doing chemo this time around the mast that was removed was low grade enough that it was not felt to be necessary as they felt it was removed with large enough margins during the surgery, but we check and double check for new growth often and we keep his coat clipped.
    Would you mind giving me more info on the supplement? I am going to google it to see what I can find but if you don’t mind I would love to hear what your experience with it is.

Best of luck to you and your baby!

#75098 Report Abuse
    Terrina L

Thats great news Heather! Im so glad things are going well. My dog Sushi has been on the supplement for about two months now. Our margins we not clean, hence the chemo. I did a lot of research on Japanese mushrooms (Maitake DMG). There are a few companies that make this but I choose Vetri Science since I found more positive reviews on this. I cant for sure say that this is working but it cant hurt. I found it least expensive on Amazon. Ive also give her apple cider vinegar (unfiltered, organic, with mother) and coconut oil (organic and cold pressed). They both help with itchy skin and allergies.

Here is the web site for the Maitake DMG http://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9002204120
    You can download a PDF file that will give you the information on the supplement.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.