🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    zuponicafe

A longish ‘bump’ has grown over the hips of my 76# lab/husky/shep. It resembles a fat roll like you’d see on a big mans neck.
    I noticed it about a week ago, but since he had just been to the vet & received a shot for tapeworms (Droncit) I chalked it up to that being where he got the shot & it was swollen.
    My very inattentive husband was the one who brought him in for the visit, so I’m not sure if that is where the dog got the shot.
    Regardless, I will be bringing him to the vet myself ASAP as I’m paranoid about the location. It appears to be a fatty deposit, since it has not gone away, so my question for now is would high fat content foods cause this?
    I’ve had him on a rotational diet of all 4 & 5 star lg. breed recommended foods, but I wonder if I was so focused on calcium I may have neglected anything else.
    I know only a vet can diagnose, but I’m just curious if anyone else may have encountered this in such a young dog.
    🙂 Thanks for all the dog advice this site provides!

#81743 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I don’t know, but I don’t think it has anything to do with the food.

Example: http://www.dog-health-guide.org/doglumpsonskin-1.html
    “Dog lumps on skin (also called dog skin tumors) can have many causes such as an insect bite that results in an abscess where pus forms under the skin, lipomas (fatty tumors which are usually benign or not cancerous), skin tumors or cysts. Don’t rush to judgment and assume that a canine skin bump is cancerous, as many types are benign or not cancerous”.

Let us know what the vet says. Good luck

#81752 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi- My pit had a similar lump on his ribs some time back. Turned out to be nothing more than fluid build up. They did a fine needle aspirate on him, got him on some antibiotics and the lump has yet to come back. No clue what caused it to this day, but the vet didn’t seem too worried about it.

Hopefully yours is something similar! Best of luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.