šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Haychucko
    Participant

My dog now has 3 lipomas, still quite small, they have all been checked by my vet. I’m wondering if a lower fat diet would help prevent them from growing, and prevent more of them from forming. She’s only 6 and I’m curious why she’s getting them so early. I know that fat is good for dogs, but I’m worried that if she has them already, she’s going to be riddled with them by the time she is a senior. I’ve already tried switching to a grain free diet, because I’ve heard grains can feed tumors, but it’s hard to say whether it’s had any effect. They definitely haven’t shrunk, but I don’t think they’ve gotten larger, although they grow so slowly I can’t say for sure. Anyone out there have an opinion on sacrificing some of the fat in a dog’s diet to prevent limpomas?

#23616 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

There are multiple theories on why lipomas form, but one of them is that the body stores toxins in fat to get them out of the way. So reducing toxins helps reduce the need to store them away. Which may in turn give the body the chance to start dealing with those stored toxins. Going grain free, high protein and adding antioxidants helps the body have what it needs to deal with toxins.

#23685 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

Low fat food that I know is good for pancreatitis is Wellness Core Reduced Fat. It is grain free. It also contains 33% protein. They have a dry and canned version. Maybe it will help with the issue you are facing, too.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by gmcbogger38.
    #23719 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Overweight dogs do tend to be more likely to develop lipomas. As Patty stated, there are several theories as to why they form. I believe it’s likely a combination of numerous factors such as diet, weight, genetics, vaccine history and environmental toxins. I’ve heard good things about the use of turmeric (or curcumin), bromelain, inositol and IP-6 for dogs with lipomas. It may also be wise to start using some general immune boosting supplements such as colostrum, probiotics, glutathione, vitamin c, astralagus, medicinal mushrooms, etc. etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.