šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mary G

Hello!!

My 11 year-old beagle just got diagnosed with moderate heart disease. He shows no symptoms but we found out about his enlarged heart because he had a respiratory infection which got taken care of. He is doing great now but the vet suggested we put him on a low sodium diet. We live in Mexico for the moment and there are quite a few brands not available here.

What would you recommend we try? I cannot buy Akana, EVO or even Wellness. We currently have him on Royal Canin Mature Consult. What would other suggestions be? We have a Petco here but we do have a limited amount of brands to choose from. I checked out Tufts suggestions via their website but I am reluctant to try any of the Hills products. Please help, I need guidance. Thanks!!!!

#101700 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You would need to tell us what brands that you have available.

#101736 Report Abuse
    Mary G

The brands sold here are:
    Proplan.
    Euoanuba.
    Royal canin.
    Blue buffalo.
    Diamond.
    Instinct.
    Ideal balance.
    Hill’s.
    Kirklqnd.

#101737 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice

best-low-sodium-dog-food

#101739 Report Abuse
    Mary G

Thanks. A vet suggested we try Barf or acba. Not sure yet

#101981 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

Can you purchase via shipping? My Douglas has CHF as well. The same moderate sodium restrictions. He needs to be between 45mg – 80mg sodium/100kcal. If you were to research the ingredients and look at the reviews from dog food advisor you will see there are better brands you can purchase for your little one. There is a list my cardioligist gave me with the sodium mg/100kcal broken down. Unfortunately there are several I would never use, however there are several good ones. I have this list if you are interested. Let me know.
    Wellness if high on the list! Evo is another, Earthborn Holistic, one that I researched and got answers to and am currently feeding Doug.

#101982 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

I just read an article from someone who flew to Texas and brought back two suitcases of dog food. Don’t know if it is legal? Through customs and all. Another person shipped the dog food to a PO box drove to pick it up and drove back. Again customs? Don’t know anything about that. Is he taking Vetmedin? or the generic? or any other medicine? Can the Petco special order for you? I wish you and your furrbaby lots of love and prayers! This is not an easy disease to deal with.

#101986 Report Abuse
    Mary G

Thank you!!!! Customs allows only one bag per person and they it.even.depends on their mood. It is hard to say since friends have tried and.some are allowed to import the kibble.and others do not. I can probaboy purchase online from people who import it but the cost is close to twice the value. I am weary of the expiration date on that as well.

He is taking homeopathic remedies and i also.give hm supplements such as taurine, l-carnityne, omegas 3 and 6, and co enzyme q10.

#101987 Report Abuse
    Mary G

I would love tue list!!!!!! Mguzman@gmail.com.

Tyank you sooo much!!!!

#101988 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

i have the list, just don’t know how to attach it.

#101989 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

Will send!

#105180 Report Abuse
    tracy c

my 8.5 yr old jrt was just diagnosed with the chf on vetmedin lasix and enalapril the vet wants his food to be hills science diet hd i have heard neg. about hills and am reluctant to get it any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. i saw pro plan focus sen skin stomach mentioned on here ..is that used by anyone

#105181 Report Abuse
    tracy c

could i get that list if you have please tcapparra@gmail.com

#109699 Report Abuse
    Joni F

Will you send me the sodium list please. My senior dog also has chf. Thank you. Send to jonif86@gmail.com

#112450 Report Abuse
    R M

I realize this is an old postvbut if you see this Vicki, i would love to see the lost you have! My 12 year old Dachshund is in heart failure and we current lynfeed wellness whitefish and sweet potato but the vet recommended finding low sodium.

#112452 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

R M.
    My email is vmadair@gmail.com
    Please email me and I will get you the list. I also have a friend who has a dachshund who has CHF as well. When I get you the list I will also give you her email.

#113104 Report Abuse
    Maureen T

Hello,

My 9 year old Boston Terrier was just diagnosed with CHF. We were told to find a low sodium dog food. I have found it very difficult thru the years to find a dog food for her that doesnā€™t upset her stomach. I finally started using Acana and it agrees with her very well but I donā€™t know how to read the sodium level. Any help would be appreciated.

#113105 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Maureen, you usually have to contact the company about sodium levels if it isnā€™t listed on the bag.

#113106 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

Maureen, I have a whole list to send to you! Information you can use to figure it out yourself. Please send me an email…. vmadair@gmail.com I have it waiting for you in my send box!

#113107 Report Abuse
    Vikki A

R M I have not heard back from you! Please contact me and I can give you information to help you figure out the information you need. I also have a Dachshund, mini. I have a friend who has a Dachshund who has CHF as well. I can connect you with her if you want, you are not alone! vmadair@gmail.com

#119285 Report Abuse
    Angela B

I would love the list as well. abastari@hartgrp.com Many thanks!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.