🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JenRose
    Participant

I have been battling megaespophagus with my adopted Lab Annabelle since November 2011. I am looking to make a change to her diet (Innova EVO Turkey and Chicken) because research has shown a high fat/protein diet can aggravate megaE…apparently fat is harder to digest and stays in the stomach longer making it easier to regurge. Too high protein can cause ulcers or lesions in the esophagus. The only problem is I need to get her weight up and with low bulk as she cannot take lots of food per day, even when divided into small feedings. She has been on grain free but I think I will have to add carbs to get calories without as much fat and protein and that is ok.

Any ideas on a good quality higher carb, low fat, low protein canned food??

#15585 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi JenRose –

You may want to consider a dehydrated food, it’s much easier to find dehydrated foods that are lower in protein and fat than canned foods. Dehydrated foods will have the same consistency as canned foods when re-hydrated (as I know MegaE dogs tend to do better on foods with a “gruel” consistency). Some options:

-Addiction: They have a line of dehydrated foods with protein levels ranging from 18% -22% and several options with under 15% fat.
    -The Honest Kitchen’s Verve is 22.5% protein and 8.5% fat.
    -Sojo’s has two formulas that both have 22% protein and 8% fat.
    -I and Love and You has three dehydrated options with 22% protein and fat levels ranging from 8% – 10%.
    -Only Natural Pet’s Easy Raw dehydrated foods have 22% – 23% protein and 8% – 10% fat.

#15589 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I am having the same problem with my 4 small dogs. I am feeding Brothers Allergy formula since Sept 2012 and I just started adding Darwin’s Raw to it with very little 95% can food (Turkey is the protein ) I am thinking it is the high protein from Brothers since they had this issue before I added the Raw. The problem is for me is that most of these freeze dried are loaded with potato. I give Pepcid AC to them but its not helping. I already had one with an ulcer due to this and an ulcer takes forever to clear up. I don’t want another one coming up with one also. It seems I cannot win for loosing. If I go 100% Raw would that solve it or would they not get enough nutrition? I am getting confused on this whole thing of high grain free protein is better yet it is causing health issues?

#15592 Report Abuse

Nectar mom-

First, if a food was causing an issue to the point that I had to give all 4 pepcid, I would not be using that food. Unfortunately, as you know, each dog is different, so it can be trial and error until you find one that works for all problems that a given dog may have-some do better on grain free, some do better on grain inclusive or raw etc. Several of my dogs do not do well if the kibble protein goes over 33 or so percent. Why, I have no idea as they do fine with raw/canned etc that exceed that amount.

#15593 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Melissa, I know and it is because they do well on turkey and potato free as far as allergies and intestinal. Allergies but the acid reflux is a problem. I wasn’t sure what was causing the reflux until I read this thread and if it is the protein then I have to find a food that is turkey , lower protein and grain and potato free. I have even spoken to Darwin’s about the acid reflux and they said maybe it was because they were drinking too much water after meals which in result made them regurgitate up clear water but I know that would not cause acid reflux. Seriously I am getting tired of switching foods and waiting 6 months to see if it works only for it not to work and cause some issue with my dogs. It is very aggravating. They also had the acid reflux on Acana and that is when my one dog ended up with an ulcer.

#15602 Report Abuse
    Mary Lou
    Participant

NectarMom ~ our Bichon does not do well on kibble. Even if it seems to go well initially, we end up with throwing up. He does not get much kibble, but I have found two he seems to do ok on in small amounts. Right now, he has some Nature’s Variety LID Duck. They have a turkey, as well. He also does well on Nutrisca Salmon. Unfortunately, the only turkey they have is canned. He seems to do fine on high protein ~ unless it’s in a kibble. I believe these are around 29 and 30. He eats more raw and canned, but has had no issues with either of these kibbles. I hope you can find a solution for your pups.

#15613 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Mary lou, My dogs are not throwing up the food. it is hours later after the food has already digested that they throw up clear foamy liquid. I am afraid of any food that has been recalled and Natures Variety has been recalled before. My main concern right now is the acid reflux they have been having since switching to a high protein kibble. I am feeding Darwin’s Raw diet Turkey and I am wondering if it by its self is nutritionally sound for my crew. Darwin’s is closed today or I would be calling them asking. Thanks for your reply though 🙂

#15614 Report Abuse
    Mary Lou
    Participant

NectarMom ~ our guy had the frothy throw up, as well ~ in our bed! : ). Good luck.

#15618 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Mary Lou, I am thinking you might be right so we are stopping the Raw until we speak to Darwin’s and see if they have any suggestions. We may have to stop Raw and try another lower protein grain free , potato free kibble. Sigh. I just really hate seeing my girls uncomfortable in any way.

#15621 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Jen, I think HDM is spot on with the dehydrated advice. I’ve never dealt with it but good luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.