🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mandy d

I’m not sure if this actually exists…

My five year old mini schnauzer has periodic bouts of colitis after having an intestinal blockage&surgery a few years ago and a low fat, high fiber food helps. However she also has a poultry allergy and basically all the foods that are significantly lower in fat and higher in fiber than her current food have chicken or turkey as the protein source. We currently feed her Wellness Core, alternating between the ocean and lamb flavors, but she still has the occasional bouts and just had the worst one yet. At one point we tried the Wellness Core reduced fat version, and the fat/fiber content worked really well for her but it is turkey based and this confirmed that it was poultry in general that she was allergic too, not just chicken. I’ve done A LOT of searching in the last year here and on other websites, but I’m hoping maybe I’m just missing something and the perfect food is actually out there. I was originally looking for a kibble, but at this point I am totally open to canned or raw food, it would just be best if I did not have to prepare her food myself. Any suggestions?

Right now I’m leaning towards trying her on Addiction canned foods or the OC Raw dog goat&produce formula. Although I am a little hesitant to try her on raw food when she is so sensitive.

I also think it would also be nice for it to have things like omega 3s or other healthy oils, added nutrients for joint health (she has early signs of degenerative disc disease), and maybe something low-carb to prevent any other future health problems. But of course, I can always supplement the omegas and joint health. I can also always add more fiber too, so a low-fat, low-carb food with average fiber would be ok.

#52786 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Mandy, have you had a look at the Wellness Simple Healthy Weight Salmon & Peas grain free there’s no chicken or turkey the fat is min-8% the fiber is 6%, Omega 6 is 1.80% Omega 3 is 90% Glucosamine is 3.75mg /kg…I just looked at the Wellness Core Ocean & the Fat min-16% fat thats high & that was min-16% fat so I add around another 1.5%-2% max fat on top of that, thats making it nilly 18% fat…. if u email Wellness they will email back max % on fat & the Carb %…..Holistic Select also made by Wellpet has their Grain Free Salmon, Anchovy & Sardine meal fat-min-13% Fiber-6% Omega 6 is 2.00% Omega 3 is 1.50% has no chicken or turkey….
    Have you ever tried raw?? maybe cooked would be better to start with then you slowly cook the meat less then get to raw & slowly introducing from cooked to raw over 3-4 weeks, Karen Becker she says take 3 months introducing raw with dogs with GI problems in her book…I’d be to scared to try raw with Colitis..
    Dogs with Colitis normally have IBD awell, I belong to the Yahoo group IBDogs & alot of the IBD dogs have Colitis so u’ll need to be careful when introducing new foods, so you dont have another flare….Good-Luck, its hard..

#52803 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Mandy-
    How low of fat are you thinking? A lot of the senior or weight reduction foods are lower in fat and higher in fiber. Have you looked into any of those? I think some of the Nutrisource kibbles are a little higher in fiber than average, but I’m not sure if they are as low in fat as you are looking for. I try to use lower fat foods as well, but my dogs can eat chicken, luckily. Also as you mentioned, you can always add fiber to their meals. Good luck to you!

#52831 Report Abuse
    mandy d

Hi Sue66b, I actually must have missed that one somehow! I’ll check out both. She’s never eaten raw before but the vet we just saw is a pretty big proponent of the paleopet diet and didn’t seem concerned about feeding her raw even with her colitis so I figured it was worth looking into. She’s doing much better after the vet visit, but I do think I’m going to try her on some different food and see if I can find something that prevents the flare ups.

Crazy4cats- I’m looking for fat around or less than 10% and fiber around 9% for a kibble, but I suppose those amounts vary for wet or raw foods. Unfortunately I think the wellness core reduced fat that we had tried in the past is the only one that high in fiber. Right now I’m adding pumpkin to her normal food for extra fiber. The formulas that fall in the range I’m looking tend to be senior or weight reduction foods, so that’s been most of what I’ve looked at but unfortunately almost all (or all) are poultry based which she is allergic too. They tend to have either chicken or turkey as the main ingredient or have poultry fat somewhere in the ingredients. Even all of the prescription GI health/senior/weight management foods are poultry based.

#52838 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yeah, that makes sense as poultry has less fat than red meat. How about a fish based food?

#52839 Report Abuse
    mandy d

That’s what she eats now, but most of them are not particularly low fat. The new wellness simple healthy weight salmon that sue66b mentioned looks really promising so I think I’ll pick that up and try her on it before I go with something radically different than what she’s eating now.

#52854 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

My dog’s had a little bit of a rough start when they were pups and have some digestive issues as well. One meal a week I feed them the See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mix with very lean turkey that I lightly cook with no kibble. The next day their stools are small and firm. I wish I could afford to feed them like this every meal! Maybe you could find some type of premix that you could add very lean beef and/or fish to. Keep us informed of what you find!

#52859 Report Abuse

I do not recall if this formula is manufactured by Diamond, or not, but it’s an option.

Solid Gold Holistique Blendz
    Protein, Min 18%
    Fat, Min 6%
    Fiber, Max 4%
    Moisture, Max 10%
    Calories per cup, 340

Oatmeal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Peas, Ocean Fish Meal, Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Dried Eggs, Dicalcium Phosphate, Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Salt, dl-methionine, Choline Chloride, Salmon Oil (source of DHA), Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Parsley Flakes, Spearmint, Almond Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sesame Oil (preserved by mixed tocopherols), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Kelp, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Lentils, Quinoa, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Panthothenate, Riboflavin, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Rosemary Extract

#52864 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi:
    The last info I have on SG Holistique Blendz (from the spring, so things could have changed) is that recipe is manufactured by Crosswind Industries.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.