🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ray T

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a one year old miniature Schnauzer. I am aware of their tendency to get hyperlipidemia, pancreatitis and such. Could anyone suggest a dry kibble that is low in fat and would be a good life long food providing it is tolerated. She has been on Blue since puppyhood but have been advised that it may be a little to rich for her.
    The prescription brands have a low rating, but are used by Veterinarians, so what should I do?

#53029 Report Abuse
    Ray T

Hello………..anyone out there? Dogfoodadvisor.com

#53056 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Wellness has a reduced fat recipe you may want to look in to. I use Wellness for all my dogs and cat, and they do great on it.

#53063 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hopefully Melissa will see this.

#53064 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Here we are, Ray T! I’m never sure what people mean by a food is too rich for their dogs. Do you mean that it has too much fat, too much proten, or both?
    A lot of the healthy weight and senior recipes tend to be a little lower in fat. In fact, I just bought the Nutrisource senior formula for my two dogs who are only three years old. I feel like I add toppers that tend to be a little high in fat so I should try a lower in fat kibble. I haven’t opened it yet. I’ll let you know how it goes. It has 26% protein, 10% fat, 5.5% fiber and 392 calories per cup. It’s a chicken and rice formula.

#53145 Report Abuse
    Ray T

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about trying Annamaet low fat formula. It is only 7% fat but 30% protein , maybe a little high for a small dog. What do you all think?

#53164 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I think that sounds like a great choice. Others have mentioned good results with this food!

#53167 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

High protein is good for little dogs too. My 12 1/2 year old JRT still hunts every chance she gets, and she catched stuff too, yuck! Before I upgraded her diet, she was starting to show signs of age and arthritis. Now, she acts like a young, healthy, energetic dog and she has added a lot of muscle.

#53169 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Ray,

Take a look also at Go! Senior, Wellness Core Reduced Fat and Orijen Senior. All are excellent foods with high quality protein, lower fat and higher fiber.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.