🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    J

My dog has had reoccurring episodes of pancreatitis. The vet has put her on the Royal Canin Gastro Low Fat dry food. It seems to be helping, but she still has diarrhea and loose stool every once in a while. She has stopped throwing up, and is getting some of her energy back.

This food is hard to come by in Canada. It can only be obtained from a vet clinic, and it is upwards of $8.00/lb. Unfortunately, I can’t purchase it in the states and bring it across the border… even though with the exchange rate the food would only be about $3.00/lb.
    My dog is a malamute cross and based on her weight she has to eat 6 cups of this food a day. A 6.6lb bag only lasts 5-6 days and this is costing about $55 bucks a bag. It is a little cheaper when I am able to get the larger bags but this is inconsistent, and the vet clinic does not always get consistent deliveries.

I have been trying to find other comparable products, with a low fat content, but I am not finding many alternatives.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not really wanting to change her food… but if you have any suggestions, I would like to talk to my vet about them.

Thanks!

#98464 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Ask your vet if this product would be an option? https://www.chewy.com/natural-balance-fat-dogs-chicken/dp/46804

Six cups of food a day? Are you sure about that? Don’t go by the recommendations on the dog food bag, they tend to be to much (imo). Start with the lowest amount.

#98465 Report Abuse
    J

Thanks for the suggestion! Yes – 6 cups seems like a lot but she is maintaining her weight at the 6 cups a day.

#98466 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

/forums/topic/alternative-to-royal-canin-low-fat-gi/

Some good ideas in this thread 🙂 Cheers!

#98467 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Purina and Hills also each make a very low fat therapeutic diet. Perhaps one of those would be easier to consistently find.

#102257 Report Abuse

Oh God, thank you so much! I’m gonna be spending a lot of time on Amazon ordering some low-fat dog food tonight haha. Makes me wish I didn’t find this thread, but I’m grateful. God bless!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.